Advertisement

Good Neighbor: Elk Management in Montana

They allow more resident elk hunting than any ranch I’m aware of.

Yet, I doubt Mr. Blank is relying on cattle or elk to pay his bills, making it a hard comparison to ranch owners who rely on cattle or elk to pay their bills.

View attachment 343408
I think their example is a good one. The random draw element is neat, I think iv encountered a few other type 2 BMA that have a random selector as well.

Certainly unrepresentative of smaller operations but arguably PVR compared to bob anderson is a good contrast

Two opposite ends of of the social economic spectrum providing the same access opportunities. Well almost the same.

I think their example is a good one. The random draw element is neat, I think iv encountered a few other type 2 BMA that have a random selector as well.

Certainly unrepresentative of smaller operations but arguably PVR compared to bob anderson is a good contrast

Two opposite ends of of the social economic spectrum providing the same access opportunities. Well almost the same.
This got me thinking about the spectrum of landowners that participate in BM. There are clearly places FWP can focus the efforts. I’m sure even this breakdown isn’t as clean and neat as we would like.

- people that would never do it
- people that do it but not for the money
- people that do it as a civic service and the money helps a little
- people that do it solely for the money
- people that do it for the 454 elk tag

It would be a big mistake for the public to start “compensating” landowners that have elk on their property. The public should be more focused on securing long term access of public through easements and correctly managing the lands that we have available. The landowners have the elk problem the public doesn’t.

Dig into some of the 454 agreements and you will see the public is getting hosed for access to a few cows. The landowners are getting bull tags and cutting right to the front of the line.

Dig into some of the 454 agreements and you will see the public is getting hosed for access to a few cows. The landowners are getting bull tags and cutting right to the front of the line.
Yup.

Which is evidence that even though landowner tags might make sense in certain parts of the state - it would get abused and corrupted in the rest of the stste.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trantham11
Back