Kenetrek Boots

Fun Discussion

In a perfect world there is only a spine and ribs left to find. We need more Alaska style game laws. But even Alaska does not require all the meat in every case.

So yeah. Social media at it's finest.

I have taken neck and rib meat. I've never done a "rib roll". A follow-up comment someone posted was about taking 20 pounds off a deer neck. Picture with scale and everything. That meat was blood shot, hair, gristle, silver skin, none of which I'd leave in burger, it'd get trimmed and tossed. Maybe being picky, maybe not. But to say 20 pounds of burger is a stretch.

If I accidentally kick a bunch of dirt on the meat while butchering (it happens), odds are if it's a thin cut like off ribs or neck, I'm leaving it. A coyote isn't going to care about a mouthful of dirt, I will.

Definitely a lot of context missing. I tried explaining if someone is inexperienced or doesn't have as nice of processing equipment as I have, maybe they're not seeing what's still edible meat scraps like I am. I said I rarely take internal organs, it's just not my cup of tea, a coyote would enjoy the shit out of a liver that I'd be choking down. An 85* day like we've all experienced archery hunting, I'm not messing with rib rolls and trimming neck meat, I'm getting the bulk out of there. I've shot elk and quartered them and within 2 weeks all that is left is a chewed on, picked over rib cage. Probably less meat than that, but still.

A good mental exercise, but other than that I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

I've harvested the neck and rib meat off of some animals I've killed, and others I haven't. When I read Montana's Wanton Waste Law, I could see an argument that because neck and rib meat is "suitable for food", one should extract it to remain lawful. If this person didn't pull the tenderloins, that sure seems wasteful. Maybe that is a bit arbitrary on my part. That said, I doubt anyone has ever been charged with such for leaving them in the field, nor peeling the cheek muscles off the skull. There is a fair bit of meat in the neck, but most rib meat - elk or deer - seems to be a high percentage of sinew.

I think there's bigger fish to fry. This world is increasingly full of folks displaying the virtue of getting worked up.

1726515547374.png

Last edited:
I don't take ribs and I am pretty picky when trimming at processing as well. I follow the law wherever I am, as far as meat recovery. If it likely to dry out or get tossed when I do the processing due to sinew, tendons or fat, and I'm not legally required to take it, I leave it in the field.

Not sure what this guy is mad about.

On a bull that size you might be able to get 30 pounds of neck roasts and another 5 or 10 pounds of rib and brisket meat. I kind of think the rules should say that you have to take the neck meat. That's quite a bit of meat and generally really good for roasts or at least burger.

Probably not the best optics to a non hunter to leave that much meat but haul out a cape if that's how it went down. (although I don't know if that is the case or not).

To each there own if they're following the law (as @Nameless Range pointed out, they might not be if in Montana cause neck and rib meat is sure suitable for food). But that seems like a lot of waste in my opinion. If it's a short pack put, I always cut the ribs off and take them because wild game ribs are so good if you know how to cook them. And I either cut the neck whole and cook it for pulled meat or just cut off most in the field.Carcass.jpgRibs.jpg

I take the neck meat but some don't. I don't really care either way.

Secondly, i have to assume the aforementioned 12 year old has his crocs in sport mode. I have made a couple of more treacherous than expected climbs and sport mode is a must.

Folks that cut the neck off whole and roast it is that after you get you CWD test back? I used to do that, now I just cut the meat off and add to grind pile.

I see there was no mention if this was a CWD area..

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back