Idaho Seeks to Limit Scope Turrets and Rangefinders

Interesting topic and one that I’ve never given any thought. For me personally, I have never hunted with a scope that had a turret. I like to get within 300 yards of an animal, much closer if I can. If I can’t do that, I don’t feel like I have any business hunting.

People need to self regulate. More government regulating isn't the answer.
People time and time again have been found to fail at self regulation as a whole. We are a country built on doing things one better or one farther. Regulation is the only way to control it. I would be interested in if they have any actual findings to support the change or if it’s out of wanting to stop 1000 yd shots on deer for ethical and safety reasons.

I have zero hope that hunters will self regulate. Regulations need to be clear and concise if they are to have any chance of worthwhile enforcement. One of the reasons why the motorized hunting rule is so difficult to enforce is because one, people don't self regulate, two the regulations are difficult for folks with poor reading comprehension to understand. We here on hunting forums represent a very small percentage of hunters and we see a wide range of opinions. The general hunting public that pulls an uncleaned gun from the closet and fires a round at a pie plate 50 yards away to sight in is even more unscrupulous than the most laid back hunter on this forum. That type will never self regulate.

I find it perfectly reasonable to very clearly prohibit thermal optics while hunting. Meaning that if you have a tag or are accompanying someone who does, and you are found to be in possession of a thermal optic during an open season it would be a very clear violation.

Cellular trail cameras are another recent technology that I think we can do without.

Did anyone else notice this part of the article?

"As technology advances and hunter success rates increase, agencies are left with only a few tools to ensure that hunters are not overharvesting game species and jeopardizing their long-term sustainability.

Those tools include:

1. Equipment restrictions
  2. Season timing and length
  3. Number of tags"
The implication is that equipment use is increasing hunter success rates to a point that we either need to limit technology or they will be forced to limit tag numbers or shorten hunting seasons. I would much rather retain long seasons and OTC opportunity.

I am willing to bet that most guys with dialing turrets and rf binos miss or wound far less animals than your run of the mill Wal Mart, night before season tag buying "hunter".

I have never missed or wounded and lost an animal beyond 500 yards and have killed numerous ones at those distances.

Last edited:
“The moment or truth, let me range animal, fumble with tape, peel tape off while likely spinning turret 180 degrees, find correct value, get back on gun, make shot or a lifetime.” Pretty stupid solution for something I didn’t think would be a good rule to begin with
My turrets won't turn peeling tape off. Even if they did, you set it back to your zero stop (look it up) in about .01 seconds.
Shooting at distance usually allows more time for the shot.

Oh, my rf binos figure in the environmantals and ballistic calculations automatically when I range. 😁

I am willing to bet that most guys with dialing turrets and rf binos miss or wound far less animals than your run of the mill Wal Mart, night before season tag buying "hunter".

I have never missed or wounded and lost an animal beyond 500 yards and have killed numerous ones at those distances.
I’d beg to differ. Most guys buying that stuff I see think it’s an easy button to success and spend little if any time really figuring it out. Usually some beater rifle and the cheapest scope with turrets and a rangefinder they bought cheap also. I know of a bull shot around 15 times one fall by a group that is that exact type. Shots were between 800-1000 yards. They were very open to bragging about how it went down

People that practice and are proficient are outliers IME

I’ve saved them some time and brainstormed some more useless ideas for their consideration:

Firearms:
1. Round nose projectiles only
2. Max ballistic coefficient of 0.300 G1
3. Iron sights only
4. Straight walled cartridges only
5. 4x max optic power limit
6. Plain crosshair reticles only (not even duplex)
7. Shotgun slug only
8. Max muzzle velocity of 2800fps
9. Ban wind measuring devices
10. Ban ballistic apps on phones in the field

Archery:
1. Single fixed pin bow sights only
2. No compound bows

General:
1. Ban all filming for social media platforms while hunting (ok this one would actually be good)
Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.

People need to self regulate. More government regulating isn't the answer.
Couldn't agree more. Once the laws start it just seems to be a domino effect. We be honest with ourselves within our abilities. I have taken longer than 500 yard shots a couple of times, but everything was perfect, wind, good rest, and time, plus I shoot my rifles a lot at distance.

I’ve talked to 2 people this week that have put their names in for this committee. I respect both of them a bunch and also the motivations they have in wanting to be involved

I’d beg to differ. Most guys buying that stuff I see think it’s an easy button to success and spend little if any time really figuring it out. Usually some beater rifle and the cheapest scope with turrets and a rangefinder they bought cheap also. I know of a bull shot around 15 times one fall by a group that is that exact type. Shots were between 800-1000 yards. They were very open to bragging about how it went down

People that practice and are proficient are outliers IME
Maybe.
The guys I know and circles I run in are quite different. Serious shooters, guides and competitors.

No doubt perspective is based on exposure.

I believe you and I are talking about two different species here.
Experienced LR shooter and slobs.
Not referring to non-LR shooters that way. We all have seen those that do little to be proficient but are all about going out "killing" to take pics and say they filled a tag.

I have zero hope that hunters will self regulate. Regulations need to be clear and concise if they are to have any chance of worthwhile enforcement. One of the reasons why the motorized hunting rule is so difficult to enforce is because one, people don't self regulate, two the regulations are difficult for folks with poor reading comprehension to understand. We here on hunting forums represent a very small percentage of hunters and we see a wide range of opinions. The general hunting public that pulls an uncleaned gun from the closet and fires a round at a pie plate 50 yards away to sight in is even more unscrupulous than the most laid back hunter on this forum. That type will never self regulate.

I find it perfectly reasonable to very clearly prohibit thermal optics while hunting. Meaning that if you have a tag or are accompanying someone who does, and you are found to be in possession of a thermal optic during an open season it would be a very clear violation.

Cellular trail cameras are another recent technology that I think we can do without.

Did anyone else notice this part of the article?

"As technology advances and hunter success rates increase, agencies are left with only a few tools to ensure that hunters are not overharvesting game species and jeopardizing their long-term sustainability.

Those tools include:

1. Equipment restrictions
  2. Season timing and length
  3. Number of tags"
The implication is that equipment use is increasing hunter success rates to a point that we either need to limit technology or they will be forced to limit tag numbers or shorten hunting seasons. I would much rather retain long seasons and OTC opportunity.
Interesting to see some WY general deer seasons limited to 5 days, + an antler point restriction. It’s not so much age class management, but rather a measure to ensure every public land buck is not exterminated.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back