Caribou Gear

Idaho Seeks to Limit Scope Turrets and Rangefinders

I would like to see them take a run at thermals before turrets and rangefinders
Thermal use is already regulated appropriately and clearly defined as to when and how they can be used. What about thermals in Idaho would you like to see addressed?

BS walks. I applied to sit on the working group.

Ironic this comes up the year I buy my first two CDS scopes. I could be vulnerable to max magnification rulings too.

I still know that no matter the tech, my practical field limit is 400 yards. The tools should make you better within your limits, not extend your limits.

If I am selected I would want to explore how to change hunter behavior without outlawing gear.

I mean - its certainly possible with open sights too.

Ever hear of shiloh sharps or quigley shoots?
Yeah. or the fixed 4x scopes on a bunch of ww2 snipers.

It reinforces the idea that magnification doesn’t limit as much as i think a lot people think it does.

Thermal use is already regulated appropriately and clearly defined as to when and how they can be used. What about thermals in Idaho would you like to see addressed?

I looked at the regs yesterday and did not see anything about thermal scanners. I agree they would not be able to be used as a scope but it does not address the issue of people being able to use them to find game. I saw the section about artificial light but in my opinion that does not apply to thermals.

There
Is it?

The last time I read the hunting laws, thermals were not addressed. I still can’t find where thermals have been addressed by Idaho. Quick google search shows all the optics companies selling thermals saying they are legal in Idaho.

It’s definitely a topic of concern.

Ah, I understand what you’re saying now. I wasn’t thinking about scanning as much as thermal scopes. But since it’s illegal to use drones to locate game animals that takes care of the thermal scanning issue. I suppose you could scan using a hand held device from the ground.
You’re probably right, might need some more clarification and rules to dictate their use.

Ah, I understand what you’re saying now. I wasn’t thinking about scanning as much as thermal scopes. But since it’s illegal to use drones to locate game animals that takes care of the thermal scanning issue. I suppose you could scan using a hand held device from the ground.
You’re probably right, might need some more clarification and rules to dictate their use.
I have used a handheld thermal to hunt in England. It’s where is my concern. Game changing. It made my $2k binoculars useless.

I have used a handheld thermal to hunt in England. It’s where is my concern. Game changing. It made my $2k binoculars useless.
Hmmm. That’s interesting.
It would be pretty handy here in the panhandle. Can’t see 30 yards. At least you’d know where they were…still have to get to them though. Haha

I never thought about the thermal applications. Guess I’m old school now

Hmmm. That’s interesting.
It would be pretty handy here in the panhandle. Can’t see 30 yards. At least you’d know where they were…still have to get to them though. Haha

I never thought about the thermal applications. Guess I’m old school now

There's a huge part of your state where they could have a big impact and would even be useful in the panhandle. A handheld scanner can make it waaaaaay easier to find game.

Range finder idea is stupid. Turret idea means well but also pointless with mil/moa reticle. Limiting scope magnification would be better. If they want to reduce wound/loss then ban archery equipment
Meh, you'd be better off banning "Long Range Hunting" .

There's a huge part of your state where they could have a big impact and would even be useful in the panhandle. A handheld scanner can make it waaaaaay easier to find game.
You’re right. I just never thought about that.
So much tech taking the fair chase out of it that it’s hard to keep ahead of it.

Yeah because it’s impossible to see a dial turret with index marks and numbers exposed on top of the scope. It’s easier than checking someone’s license and way easier than checking legal muzzleloader bullets.
So you put a piece of black tape around it until the time of the shot.

I’ve never seen the first case savage guy here but I’ve seen plenty of local dorks with magnums and turrets that have admittedly walked it in on critters way too far away to be scared and watched another guy dump a full box of shells cross canyon at a mule deer that was far enough away his rangefinder wouldn’t read
I have exactly. I've written about my former (renter) neighbor who wounded a buck with his POS Rem 760 off his porch. When I asked him what his rifle was zeroed at, he replied "...about a hundred when I did it back in Wisconsin." The house is on the west end of two forty acres squares. He was shooting at a buck in the other 40, so not less than 400.

There are some seriously under-educated marksmen out there. I recently talked with my grown sons' Hunter Ed instructor. He said he quit because now that Hunter Ed is available online, much of what they considered required is now omitted or optional. This includes shooting instruction at field days

The truth is a lot of people in the field are getting their shooting training from Call of Duty or YouTube. I never want to watch "The Duke" ever again. You can't unsee that.

Yeah because it’s impossible to see a dial turret with index marks and numbers exposed on top of the scope. It’s easier than checking someone’s license and way easier than checking legal muzzleloader bullets.
And 338 you would testify in court as to what those index marks indicate and also testify as to their accuracy ?? How many hunting licenses have you checked over the years ??

And 338 you would testify in court as to what those index marks indicate and also testify as to their accuracy ?? How many hunting licenses have you checked over the years ??
If it’s seized as evidence…would you even need to?

We've done such an awful job policing our own. The "you do you" message most people give isn't doing anything to curb the bad behavior (just look at YouTube), so I support the spirit of Idaho looking into this. I don't care if it increases opportunity or not, just want less animals wounded.

Back