Fun Discussion

Isn't the meat already contaminated if that were the case if you cut it whole in the field? Cutting the meat off the cut neck bone before cooking won't make a difference would it?
You are correct. Normally I don't wait for the test to consume my other meat, but something about cooking with spinal remains freaks me out IF i'm concerned about CWD. If I do kill an animal in an area with high concentrations of CWD, I wait for the test results before consuming any meat.

well here's a hot take in a fun discussion thread - cwd doesn't affect humans.

on topic - no way there's 100lb of meat left - and if they are taking what is legally obligated - then who are we to judge. Snowflakes are everywhere, and they're ready to melt down.

1726524281976.png

I wish I took a photo of what was left from my elk carcass. All that was left was the legs from the knuckle to hoof, hide, stomach, lungs, intestines, a pelvis and the part of the spine from the 5th rib to the base of the head. Everything else came out.

I like my meat with bone in cuts. Tastes better. Make stock out of bones. Liver/kidneys for making dog food. It all practically gets used.

20240913_074626.jpg

I wish I took a photo of what was left from my elk carcass. All that was left was the legs from the knuckle to hoof, hide, stomach, lungs, intestines, a pelvis and the part of the spine from the 5th rib to the base of the head. Everything else came out.

I like my meat with bone in cuts. Tastes better. Make stock out of bones. Liver/kidneys for making dog food. It all practically gets used.

View attachment 340488

Those steaks look awesome! What type of saw did you cut them with?

I always take the neck meat - great roasts. I never leave inside straps and per Idaho law I'm required to take them. I’m 50/50 on rib meat. Morning kill with an easy pack out, I’ll take the time for extra hamburger meat. Three miles deep, at dark, I’m leaving the ribs for the birds and coyotes.

I do take the time to grab every heart. Love it. I don’t like liver so it stays. We used to take tongues but have concluded it’s more of a fad than a necessity.

I take it all. But I have the time to trim it. If a butcher took the time I do to butcher he'd have to charge a $1000. The neck roast is a no brainer but you have to sneak it across some borders.

I take it all. But I have the time to trim it. If a butcher took the time I do to butcher he'd have to charge a $1000. The neck roast is a no brainer but you have to sneak it across some borders.
Not true. You just need to have it "processed" for consumption. I package everything in vacuum seal bags and label them. I consider that processed by the wording of the law.

Lots of meat on the neck. The ribs I can see but at least take the big hunk of meat off the top of the ribs. Often the stuff between the ribs isn’t much there after you clean it up depending on species

I always take the neck meat - great roasts. I never leave inside straps and per Idaho law I'm required to take them. I’m 50/50 on rib meat. Morning kill with an easy pack out, I’ll take the time for extra hamburger meat. Three miles deep, at dark, I’m leaving the ribs for the birds and coyotes.

I do take the time to grab every heart. Love it. I don’t like liver so it stays. We used to take tongues but have concluded it’s more of a fad than a necessity.
I’m virtually exactly the same. I’ve got a ton of neck meat off a few critters, enough to more than make it worthwhile

The popularity of the gutless method has made a lot of people incredibly sloppy and borderline wasteful in my opinion. Just because you watched a YouTube video of someone do it doesn’t mean you’re going to do it well

I’m virtually exactly the same. I’ve got a ton of neck meat off a few critters, enough to more than make it worthwhile

The popularity of the gutless method has made a lot of people incredibly sloppy and borderline wasteful in my opinion. Just because you watched a YouTube video of someone do it doesn’t mean you’re going to do it well
I don't do gutless. Not necessary if you know what you are doing. mtmuley

If someone is gonna be sloppy doing the gutless I’m pretty sure they will be sloppy with that animal gutted.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back