Ford guys - 5.0 or 3.5 eco boost?

2016 Expedition. 170k miles no issues. Ford has 13 years of experience into this engine, deploying it in the F150, the working man's truck.

1. I average 20 mpg street/highway
2. 170,000 miles no issues
3. Plenty of power/torque to tow my boat or trailer, but both are under 4000 pounds

I changed plugs at 120k. Change oil and air filter absolutely on time every time.

I’m around 10k # pulling my tractor with the 3.5 f150. Has power to spare but gets pushed around pretty easy!
64F00166-404A-47F0-9C62-44151A311FD2.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. I’m have been leaning 3.5 and this helps. Hoping to find a low miles 22 or 23 that won’t break the bank.
Keep an eye on the dealer in Conrad. They tend to have decent prices, but not sure if they're getting local trades or vehicles from Canada?

Reactions: JEL
I am a Ford guy and have had the 5.4 in a 1/2 ton and the 6.4 diesel in 3/4 ton. Honestly have had great luck with them and a previous Expedition and two Lincoln’s. I just sold my 3/4 and am without a pickup. Looking to downsize to another 1/2 ton. Wondering what folks prefer for reliability and power? 5.0 or 3.5 EB? I do tow a travel trailer on occasion but not far. No need to hear about other makes. I will be buying a Ford. Thanks
I've had both the 3.5 and 5.0. I'm still driving the 3.5. Has plenty of power for what I need to tow (boats and campers, work trailers etc.) I wasn't a fan of the EFI 5.0. It was gutless as hell and had constant problems with it.

2016 3.5 here. 150k. The only thing I’ve done is spark plugs, shocks, and brakes. All easy to DIY. I do my own oil changes and spend extra on premium synthetic oil. Hoping to get at least another 100k on it.

I am a Ford guy and have had the 5.4 in a 1/2 ton and the 6.4 diesel in 3/4 ton. Honestly have had great luck with them and a previous Expedition and two Lincoln’s. I just sold my 3/4 and am without a pickup. Looking to downsize to another 1/2 ton. Wondering what folks prefer for reliability and power? 5.0 or 3.5 EB? I do tow a travel trailer on occasion but not far. No need to hear about other makes. I will be buying a Ford. Thanks
It could be a frustrating change to drop down from a F250 to a F150. I suggest you take a test drive in a F250 with the 7.3 gas engine. My wife and I each have one. I have tried out all the F150 engine options every time I trade… i just can’t do it !! I have had the F250s in V-10, two 6.7 diesels , and now the 7.3. Happiest with the 7.3. My wife had a F150 with the 3.5 for a while, and I drove F150s for a couple decades. Again, happiest with the current truck.

I have a 2011 5.0 with the 6 speed and love it. It does get confused about what gear it wands to be in climbing hills but you can easily get past that by manually selecting the gear or using tow/haul. I’ve seen enough turbochargers eat the dirt on 6.7 powestrokes at work that I don’t trust anything ford with a turbocharger. Also I came across a video from the famous YouTube mechanic, I think his name is Scotty, where he confirmed a suspicion I had. If you make a motor have less displacement then force air into it to create more power, it’s going to wear out faster. I prefer simplicity and having one less part that can fail makes me feel good.

Back