Ford guys - 5.0 or 3.5 eco boost?

JEL

I am a Ford guy and have had the 5.4 in a 1/2 ton and the 6.4 diesel in 3/4 ton. Honestly have had great luck with them and a previous Expedition and two Lincoln’s. I just sold my 3/4 and am without a pickup. Looking to downsize to another 1/2 ton. Wondering what folks prefer for reliability and power? 5.0 or 3.5 EB? I do tow a travel trailer on occasion but not far. No need to hear about other makes. I will be buying a Ford. Thanks

I have a 22 3.5 eco boost. I miss my diesel for towing, but it's a great truck. Rides well for a 1/2 ton, plenty of power when you need it. I have 30k miles on it and haven't had a single issue to this point. Fit and finish was done well. I get about 18 mpg normal driving, 7 mpg towing. My camper is about 8500 fully loaded and it has no issue towing at all minus the fuel economy. I had a 2017 3.5 eco boost as well. Traded it in for my ram in 2018. I had 48k on that truck with zero issues as well. From what I'm gathering, the newer version (3rd gen i believe 2021-present) is much more reliable than earlier versions. I didn't see any need for the 5.0 when I was purchasing both trucks. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I’ve had three 3.5s (‘16, ‘18, ‘22) with about 225k miles between them and never experienced an issue. Had the ‘16 longest, traded it for the ‘22 with around 135k miles IIRC. I’m a sucker for the power of them, more than I’ll ever need but its nice. Way more low end torque than the 5.0.

A couple of my 2012 company trucks were 5.0s, also never an issue but they didn’t have the grunt of the 3.5eb.

Last edited:
Not generally a ford guy - but ive heard good things often, and bad things rarely from the 5.0 and 3.5 owners. If i go f150, i plan on going with either the 2.7 or 3.5. The v8 is sold as simpler -- but its still a DOHC engine with variable valbe timing and can still have the notorious "phaser"problems.

The 3.5 has more torque at 3k rpm than the 5.0 makes at all if that matters to you.

Have 2018 3.5 EB. Fan of it all around. Doesn't search for gears even when towing, adds boost instead of downshifting which makes a more comfortable ride imo.

Oh and mine has that stupid cam rattle on start up and I'm out of the warranty window, but they say it's not bad for the motor just annoying?

Towing the only negative is it likes to get hot. Looks like they changed coolants so I need to swap that and probably change the tstat while at it.

Reactions: JEL
I had a 15 F150 5.0 with 0 problems, traded it in at 100k, had a guy at work bought a '19 5.0 that had the rattle. He has since traded it in for a '23 and been happy with that. Several other guys at work have the 3.5 and other than some issues when they 1st came out, all have been happy with them.

The 3.5 has the rattle that people are mentioning and the older ones are known for timing chain issues as well. They can chew through spark plugs in 25-30k miles too. Just replaced mine this week due to misfire issues. I’m not sure I would buy another 3.5

On my third 3.5. Likely never have anything else unless I go I to a 3/4 ton. This 2018 had the phase issue, warrantied, so saved me that $. I also have the startup rattle. Only other major issue I had was both exhaust manifolds needing replaced, warrantied. I'm at 152k and pulls my TT like a champ.

Ecoboost has the complication of a turbo which is probably worth it if you drive at elevation. If you trade while vehicles are in warranty, I'd go 3.5. Otherwise, I'd go v8 unless you are at elevation.

I'm not a Ford guy but pay attention to engine stuff. I'd go 5.0. mtmuley
I owned one, it sucked on anything towing or mountain related. Constantly shifting to find a gear and towing MPG sucked. A 3.5 would do circles around me. Sold that dude after one trip out west.

I have a 2022 3.5. 2 things I don’t like.
1.)gas mileage- 16.4 mpg.
2.) aluminum body is like driving a kite when u get out in the wide open with a cross wind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
action
Back