Yeti GOBOX Collection

Favorite Stillwater Flies?

Sheltowee

The mountain streams and rivers are pretty high right now, so have been thinking about trying my luck at stillwater flyfishing. What are some of your favorite flies for lakes and ponds?

Streamers, mohair leeches, callibaetis (mayflies), emergers of some flavor, small shrimp patterns, and a hare's ear nymph or pheasant tail.

I've caught a lot on streamers. If you have a 1 man pontoon or a float tube, just troll them under a medium sink rate line.

Having grown up going after bass and panfish in the South (with a few stocked trout thrown in), terrestrials and streamers just make more sense to me. Going to have to really dial up my midge game.

PS: how do you lip hook a live shiner on one of them little size 20 hooks?

Wore the tee-tee bream out on this a couple days ago. They're favoring cicada colors these days . Can't help with trout. I'll generally tote a a spinning rod and a cage of crickets for those.
IMG_20240527_084306119.jpg

Balanced leech and chironomid under a bobber, especially if there is a little chop. Just cast it out and wait. Boring as all get-out, but effective.

As this fella I used to know - Kyner - would always say, 'when the bobber goes down, the music goes UP!'. (and the music is always METAL 🤘⚡)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back