Mountain lake fishing advice

I think sometimes it depends on the lake. I usually use Panther Martin’s for my kids(see post #21) and I’ll mess around fly fishing if I can. Somedays the flys win and some days the spinners win. I’ve never had much luck with a fly and bobber. Crawlers and a bobber are a different story.

I try to find lakes with a rocky bank, if there is a lot of vegetation you’ll spend most your time digging algae off hooks and fixing snagged lines.

Be careful to confirm the lakes you plan on fishing permit bait-- many mountain lakes here in Colorado are fly/artificial lure only, which even prohibits artificial "bait" like Berkely PowerBait.

But yeah, Rooster Tails or Mepps are probably the way to go. Throw a jig with a small curly-tail grub if you want to get super fancy.

Last edited:
All of you panther martin anglers have it wrong. Black and yellow with a yellow spoon and black polka dots is the correct answer 😝

That's it! Hunt Talk Trout Derby!

This is #1.

1720474246200.png

#2.

1720474277440.png

#3.

1720474309867.png

#4.

1720474350077.png

Then you have the #1a. (Sub for crawlers if that's your gig)

1720474507879.png

I caught all my biggest cutthroat and brookies on a silver, black or gold Blue Fox . I fished mostly the deepest part of the lakes and let that booger go down deep and bring it up slow with some changes in motion!

1720476410034.png
This Jake Lure has helped me catch more fish in Alpine Lakes than I know what to do with.

Be forewarned, in my experience mountain lakes can be totally dead one day and fantastic the next. I don’t know why. But if your kid wants to splash around and play in the lake after a 2.5 mile hike then incorporate that into the plan. Sometimes more productive and fun than fishing!

As far as bait for your son to use, mini-marshmallows or canned corn both work great as well and might be easier to pack in than nightcrawlers. Plus no kid has ever complained about bringing marshmallows on a camping trip.

In 2016 my dad and I turned our colorado elk hunt into a fishing trip. We hammered trout with Niti-1 spoons made by Pcola's Lures. They're out of St. Michael, Pennsylvania. They make an assortment of spoons in different sizes and styles. Find them on the hell that is Facebook.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back