Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Dsnow

Poor training unfortunately. It’s not uncommon. I don’t really believe the hooked an ankle. Just the way a chipper works, if it yanked you in your going head first. New guys will push the branches into the chipper with their foot to force it into the chipper. Foot is already on the deck and then yanks the rest of the body in. He is very lucky and must have had a Vermeer chipper with only one feeder wheel. My chipper has two feeder wheels and you’re not pulling yourself out. The only way would be to reverse the feed wheels.

Holy smokes. Guess I’ll stick with my desk job.
You don’t want to see the incident reports for my job…. Things like chainsaws stuck in collar bones, other chainsaw injuries, and getting hit by branches or logs flying through the air are much more common. The chipper is about the worst one and doesn’t happen often but almost always results from someone using their boot to push stuff into the chipper.

Can we start an "OSHA was never here" thread? I'll start it out with a soils deputy inspecting a drilled shaft while the driller was at lunch. Driller returned from lunch and continued doing what most lever pullers do... he went at it.... A 72" rock auger with 85k torque vs a soft body......
That's what lock out tag out is for.

Poor training unfortunately. It’s not uncommon. I don’t really believe the hooked an ankle. Just the way a chipper works, if it yanked you in your going head first. New guys will push the branches into the chipper with their foot to force it into the chipper. Foot is already on the deck and then yanks the rest of the body in. He is very lucky and must have had a Vermeer chipper with only one feeder wheel. My chipper has two feeder wheels and you’re not pulling yourself out. The only way would be to reverse the feed wheels.
I worked a very short while for a guy who called himself an arborist. He trained me to use the chipper. His extensive training program was to show me how to start it and told me to throw the branches in. I became an instant expert.

That job didn't last long. One night the boss was passing a joint around and I said, "Thank you but I'll pass." He got all paranoid and told me to leave and not come back.

Only job I ever got fired from.

As a Park Ranger we often used the chippers.
One day I was told to take it with 6 inmate workers and show them how to use it, then leave them there while I went to check on another park.
No way I told my dist. Ranger.
Guy wanted me to do the same with the volunteer groups we got.
No way.
One call to risk mang. ended me getting those tasks. But the guy continued. I was transfered to another district.

I worked with the county road crews a bunch. Tree crews.
I'd drag, but never got near those high speed feed chippers. No gloves allowed,they get caught and will yank you through.

Fear provides respect. Im the same way. Wild how i see some people treat PTO shafts.
Our new tractor has quite a few safety features, enough that I actually let the kids operate it. But the old one... shit that thing was just looking to kill you. My dad talks about all the people he grew up with who had missing appendages from tractor accidents. But he was still moving apple bins with one a 7.

Back