Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Do you use a scope with target turrets?

Do you have a scope to make field vertical adjustments on turrets?

• Yes

Votes: 88 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 31 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I gave that old Sako to my youngest son, who is the Government Trapper at Harlowton. It's on it's 11th barrel now. It's also a 22CM with a 1-7" Bartlein.

Hope all is well Kurt, I'll have to stop and visit next time I'm over that way..
22cm is a lightning rod for coyotes. . .

What kind of barrel life did you get out of the 220?

22cm is a lightning rod for coyotes. . .

What kind of barrel life did you get out of the 220?
2,000 give or take. Some lasted longer than others. I've tried just about every make of barrel out there. My last 25-30 barrels have been made by Bartlein. Tracey is a good friend of mine, and in my humble opinion makes the finest barrels. If you ever get to Wisconsin, tour the plant. It's very impressive.

I've wore out four 22CM barrels. They've lasted about 2,000 rounds as well. I'm currently testing Bartlein's new MOD400 barrels on two different 22CM's.
They're a harder alloy (more nickel) than SS (4140) barrels. I'm hoping for an increase of 50% on barrel life. As of this morning, one of those has 1855 rounds through it and is still making velocity and shooting in the .2's and .3's.

I voted "yes" because I do have them on most of my rifles.

Most of the time I just use Kentucky windage and elevation. I trust my experience with the rifle more than I trust the repeatability of the turrets. Hunting ground squirrels and prairie dogs for hours making adjustments constantly it seams eventually your zero gets off. For me personally I am more consistent pushing the crosshairs up and over and only using the turret adjustments sparingly to reach way out there and touch something.

I voted "yes" because I do have them on most of my rifles.

Most of the time I just use Kentucky windage and elevation. I trust my experience with the rifle more than I trust the repeatability of the turrets. Hunting ground squirrels and prairie dogs for hours making adjustments constantly it seams eventually your zero gets off. For me personally I am more consistent pushing the crosshairs up and over and only using the turret adjustments sparingly to reach way out there and touch something.
Hair plus air is a repeatable adjustment.

A quality turret is 100% repeatable. There is absolutely no way to use “Kentucky windage” at 300+ yards with more “trust” or consistency than a well made riflescope. YMMV.

A quality turret is 100% repeatable. There is absolutely no way to use “Kentucky windage” at 300+ yards with more “trust” or consistency than a well made riflescope. YMMV.
Exactly. You can print off a chart and check any scopes ability to twist turrets and still return to zero. Most scopes made by reputable companies are designed to be more precise than any shooter I know!

Exactly. You can print off a chart and check any scopes ability to twist turrets and still return to zero. Most scopes made by reputable companies are designed to be more precise than any shooter I know!
You guys NEED (as in absolutely have to have or cant do it) adjustable turret at 300?

That being the case I get it now. If you can't push 2 to 6 inches high and an inch over the suggested rules make complete sense now.

Last edited:
You guys NEED (as in absolutely have to have or cant do it) adjustable turret at 300?

That being the case I get it now. If you can't push 2 to 6 inches high and an inch over the suggested rules make complete sense now.
I guarantee I'd be more consistent and accurate than you by using turrets. Obviously I don't need them at 300 yards. But it's more accurate without question.

😂 you dont need a car. Do you walk to work?

No, you don't "get it".....

Maybe you should glue your 20 yard pin in place and just use holdover for all of your bow shots.

I think the adjustable turrets are great IF you have the time to range the animals then adjust accordingly. My hunting doesn't allow me the extra time. The guess point and shoot method works

One thing I really NEED is to stop reading what idiots type on the internet.
There's a very simple test that I've seen a lot of guys lose faith in very nice scopes with.

Crank that thing all the way to one side. Then up. Then over to the other side. All the way down and repeat. Go around that square 10 times. Reset to zero and shoot.

When it's sub zero and I'm shooting coyotes I trust the mil dots in my scope way more than cranking that frozen thing up and down.

There's a very simple test that I've seen a lot of guys lose faith in very nice scopes with.

Crank that thing all the way to one side. Then up. Then over to the other side. All the way down and repeat. Go around that square 10 times. Reset to zero and shoot.

When it's sub zero and I'm shooting coyotes I trust the mil dots in my scope way more than cranking that frozen thing up and down.
I leave all that cranking to you and your guys.

I box test all of my scopes....never had one fail. Maybe "very nice" to you is different than what I use.

If I told you how many coyotes I've killed with a rifle in subzero temps, you wouldn't believe me.

I box test all of my scopes....never had one fail. Maybe "very nice" to you is different than what I use.

If I told you how many coyotes I've killed with a rifle in subzero temps, you wouldn't believe me.
I’d ask but then when told me I’d have to tell you that you’re being arrogant even though I asked. I’m gonna assume it’s a astonishing amount and please keep killing them

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back