Ditching GoHunt

Most the time im chasing odds try for 10 tags at 5% draw odds so I should draw about every other year. I tweak it each year as I get more points so always applying for better units. Try doing that across 9 states without a service such as go hunt
Stupid question - do you notice people odds flopping?

I guess what i mean is - say a unit y has 100 applicants in 2023 and 10 tags.... As compared to 1000 for 5 in other unit x. Do people rush to unit Y because they all see at had better odds?

I haven’t had GoHunt for quite a while, since before they started maps. I’m good with OnX, but also downloaded Spartan Forge just to give it a go.

The lidar stuff is pretty cool. Found a couple water holes, a wallow, and perfect bedding benches in my elk area that I’ve hunted for 5 years and never knew they were there.

Stupid question - do you notice people odds flopping?

I guess what i mean is - say a unit y has 100 applicants in 2023 and 10 tags.... As compared to 1000 for 5 in other unit x. Do people rush to unit Y because they all see at had better odds?
For some yes depending on the tag a lot I don’t look at that more the % trends for drawing

I have seen a few places here and there where there is discrepancy between the boundaries shown on onx and the physically surveyed and marked boundaries on the ground. What causes this?

I have seen a few places here and there where there is discrepancy between the boundaries shown on onx and the physically surveyed and marked boundaries on the ground. What causes this?
I think just some plain ol map updating as normal. And I think this is where OnX is king. Their product is the map while GH provides data including a map. More resources on the map while theirs is spread between the filtering, shop and a map.

My 2 cents….

I have complaints about both. I miss when onX would let you download maps by the section. I pay for onX for the maps when im in the field and I pay for Gohunt strictly for the filtering 2.0 and looking for tags to apply for. I’m also the idiot that pays for it and let’s about 4 other guys use it

I've stayed with OnX since Randy first promoted a startup mapping service back whenever.
I'm a loyal subscriber. If it works, don't fix it. OnX has ALWAYS been 100% with their service.
Gohunt? Meh, a buddy had it, dumped it and returned to OnX. Enough for me. I'm not interested in massive phone action while hunting.
I'll say this though, most I hunt is maybe 2, maybe 3 States at the most. I can do that using the same principle as @Forkyfinder . Excel sheet works fine. Maybe for those such as @Khunter Programs that help juggle many apps - i understand the interest for the best service(s).

This was my first year using GoHunt maps and had similar issues with bot public land boundaries being incorrect as well as private land with public access being out of date. They have a few nice features but overall they are well short of OnX.

I have constant problems with it knowing where I am and showing downloaded maps effectively.

During pronghorn my bro and I had to constantly compare his GPS and other phone apps to mine. I don’t remember having these problems with ONX. Is the draw data worth it? Starting to say no…

In my mind they’re two different services for two different purposes. OnX is the best mapping service. GoHunt is the best research service. Both are good enough to warrant spending the money to have both at the same time.

Diminishing returns on gohunt, I’m interested how they will change the user model to keep subscribers.
I commented on another thread asking GoHunt about this and never heard back. I was actually ready to switch to GoHunt this year as I thought it was a "smoother" app when I tried it 2 years ago. Some of the layers OnX had at the time weren't available on GoHunt. Looks like they have them now. However, when I went to sign backup for GoHunt I was dismayed that their only subscription is $149.99/year. Like others on here I only hunt 1 state each year so OnX is $34.99. Two years ago GoHunt was $49.99 and included all 50 states mapping so seemed like justifiable value. However, now no way I'm paying $100+ more for a bunch of things I won't use.

I commented on another thread asking GoHunt about this and never heard back. I was actually ready to switch to GoHunt this year as I thought it was a "smoother" app when I tried it 2 years ago. Some of the layers OnX had at the time weren't available on GoHunt. Looks like they have them now. However, when I went to sign backup for GoHunt I was dismayed that their only subscription is $149.99/year. Like others on here I only hunt 1 state each year so OnX is $34.99. Two years ago GoHunt was $49.99 and included all 50 states mapping so seemed like justifiable value. However, now no way I'm paying $100+ more for a bunch of things I won't use.
This exactly is what pushed me back to OnX this year

I prefer GoHunts imagery to OnX but the rest of it is a pain in the ass. I use GoHunt for research and OnX for mapping. It’s also nice that all my friends have OnX and we can share data easily.

I've stayed with OnX since Randy first promoted a startup mapping service back whenever.
I'm a loyal subscriber. If it works, don't fix it. OnX has ALWAYS been 100% with their service.
Gohunt? Meh, a buddy had it, dumped it and returned to OnX. Enough for me. I'm not interested in massive phone action while hunting.
I'll say this though, most I hunt is maybe 2, maybe 3 States at the most. I can do that using the same principle as @Forkyfinder . Excel sheet works fine. Maybe for those such as @Khunter Programs that help juggle many apps - i understand the interest for the best service(s).
Same, I’m a loyal OnX guy, no issues so why change?
Matt

Back