Kenetrek Boots

Coyote AR-15 help

Nambaster

I am a die hard bolt gun guy. This AR-15 was inherited from my little brother. I would like to convert it into a practical coyote rifle. It currently has a redot hologram thingymajig for sights. Definitely prefer the good ole 3-9x40 but in this case I am happy to go even smaller to 32mm objective.

The front sight and the fore grip are things I have to figure out how to navigate. Does anyone have experience modifying these? Will it be cheap? Anything over $300 and I might as well just buy a bolt action 223.

Thoughts?

IMG_6178.jpeg

Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger. Ignore the front sight with the red dot. Unless you are shooting at extreme distances, no need for a 3-9. Otherwise, just put one on. The front sight will disappear in the scope.

Learn the functions (safety, mag release, charging handle).

Not sure what is confusing about the foregrip. You grip the gun like any other.

Only thing I would do is add a sling.

Spend some time at the range doing drills to learn how to operate the AR-15. If you go to a scope, you might look at a 1x6, 2x7, 2.5X8. If you're going to predator hunt, then an option of a wide field of view would be helpful. Once you get used to it you just might like for that application.

Just go shoot. My AR has 20 inch barrel and a 1:8 twist. Hates 55gr ammo. Prefers 68 grain. The heavier ammo is dead nuts accurate or to 330 yards. I haven't pushed it further yet.

Get a few different types of ammo and see what it prefers.

Like others have said, familiarize yourself with the controls and how to correct malfunctions and shoot it to see what your range is. I'm not by any means a diehard predator hunter but the AR's that I've seen some use have a 16 inch or longer barrel (what you have looks like a 16 inch) and a heavier profile barrel for improved accuracy, etc. The front sight you have is the fixed front sight with the gas block staked in the sight underneath. You could shoot cowitness (sight picture through your optic along with the front sight post) but if you get out to longer ranges that may be a bit of a distraction. If you swapped out the front sight, you would need to get another gas tube/block and another rail which there are literally about a million types of rails it seems these days. The setup you have now would be good for just about anything out to 2-300 yards depending on how well you shoot the thing. Majority of your issue is preference. You could add a sling of some sort and maybe even a bipod or develop a good system using a shooting bag which you could buy or make yourself. I used an old issued sock that was crap from the beginning and put old reloading media in and use that as my rear bag for shooting.

Id just buy a different upper, from ballistic advantage or aero with a free float m lok rail. Depending on if you want to use 223/5.56, you could look at 22 arc, 204 ruger, or a variety of others. If not that - id get magpul plastic furniture for the upper you have.

ARs have a lot of interchanging parts. You could hunt with it like it is or drop 3k in parts in it too. Carrying it far and want it light? Bench rest precision accuracy? Binary trigger for a pack of coyotes?

All up to your needs/wants/budget.

Back