Coyote AR-15 help

Nambaster

I am a die hard bolt gun guy. This AR-15 was inherited from my little brother. I would like to convert it into a practical coyote rifle. It currently has a redot hologram thingymajig for sights. Definitely prefer the good ole 3-9x40 but in this case I am happy to go even smaller to 32mm objective.

The front sight and the fore grip are things I have to figure out how to navigate. Does anyone have experience modifying these? Will it be cheap? Anything over $300 and I might as well just buy a bolt action 223.

Thoughts?

IMG_6178.jpeg

Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger. Ignore the front sight with the red dot. Unless you are shooting at extreme distances, no need for a 3-9. Otherwise, just put one on. The front sight will disappear in the scope.

Learn the functions (safety, mag release, charging handle).

Not sure what is confusing about the foregrip. You grip the gun like any other.

Only thing I would do is add a sling.

How far can you see?

Go shoot it and find out.

If you can hit a coyote sized target at the distances you normally hunt, then far enough.

If not, put a scope on it.

Spend some time at the range doing drills to learn how to operate the AR-15. If you go to a scope, you might look at a 1x6, 2x7, 2.5X8. If you're going to predator hunt, then an option of a wide field of view would be helpful. Once you get used to it you just might like for that application.

Just go shoot. My AR has 20 inch barrel and a 1:8 twist. Hates 55gr ammo. Prefers 68 grain. The heavier ammo is dead nuts accurate or to 330 yards. I haven't pushed it further yet.

Get a few different types of ammo and see what it prefers.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullkillintime
Back