Advertisement

Colorado relocating wolves.

std7mag

Well, like no one saw this coming.
Colorado is relocating wolves due to "wildlife" attacks.
Apparently their definition of wildlife means cattle.

Glad I'm not a cattle rancher in Colorado! Game commission would arrest me.

Dark haired lady is a freaking idiot!!

Dark haired lady is a freaking idiot!!
I disagree. She knows exactly how to word things to appeal to someone without a "dog in the fight", or wolf. LOL.
But yeah, anyone could have easily foreseen this. Cattle are an easy meal. Did they expect them to go after a bull elk in prime physical condition at this time of year?

lotta scientists warning CPW about how montana tried relocating wolves early on reintroduction and it went horribly and they fairly quickly stopped trying it.

basically you might as well just shoot em if you're gonna relocate em. results are basically the same.

but they're doing it anyway. it's so cute when CPW tries to do something right with wolves.

Great interview for the grazing association. Concise, polite and well spoken without expressing a bunch of frustration. Defenders is what they are.

I've come to believe that if you want to advocate for an animal and you aren't familiar with the actual impacts of said critter, you should go live with folks who deal with these decisions every day. Understanding perspective has never been a high priority for the pro-carnivore reintroduction crowd (and I consider my self somewhat pro-carnivore), and that's been the largest reason why this stuff is so problematic. It has little to do with the animals themselves, and more to do with the mindset of humans involved in the management thereof.

lotta scientists warning CPW about how montana tried relocating wolves early on reintroduction and it went horribly and they fairly quickly stopped trying it.

basically you might as well just shoot em if you're gonna relocate em. results are basically the same.

but they're doing it anyway. it's so cute when CPW tries to do something right with wolves.
Can you image the blowback if CPW said they were going to shoot them? That would haunt them for the decades to follow.

Can you image the blowback if CPW said they were going to shoot them? That would haunt them for the decades to follow.

point being that on some levels relocating a pack, especially with pups, is basically shooting them. at least according to some information i've read.

i'll grant them grace that voters of this state, who I struggle to not call egregiously un-PC things, put them in a terribly hard spot.

but the makeup of the commission these days also makes it hard for me to want to extend much grace anymore.

clown show, as buzz might say.

I cant imaginr many ranchers actuaally graze their cattlr in the wilderness area like the spokeswoman from WesternWaters said. I thought it was about 90% beattle kill lodgepole in the wilderness area and not many parks/meadows?

Great interview for the grazing association. Concise, polite and well spoken without expressing a bunch of frustration. Defenders is what they are.

I've come to believe that if you want to advocate for an animal and you aren't familiar with the actual impacts of said critter, you should go live with folks who deal with these decisions every day. Understanding perspective has never been a high priority for the pro-carnivore reintroduction crowd (and I consider my self somewhat pro-carnivore), and that's been the largest reason why this stuff is so problematic. It has little to do with the animals themselves, and more to do with the mindset of humans involved in the management thereof.
Absolutely. Makes me wonder how many Prop 91 CATS proponents have spent any time with lion hunters or even attempted to discuss their perspective.

What Ive read is they will return or disperse and die, I'm hoping for the latter.

As I expected the reimbursement has a few loopholes in it. Not much left of a baby llama to turn in for payment. In fact there isn't anything at all. By the press releases sounds like these woofs really like flossing with wool once they found those silly sheep they smacked them hard.

I was lucky they just grabbed a snack and moved on.

From the perspective from a state that never lost its wolves and has been supporting 3000 or so of them for years, it's interesting to see parallels we went through 30 to 50 years ago being repeated.

What Ive read is they will return or disperse and die, I'm hoping for the latter.

As I expected the reimbursement has a few loopholes in it. Not much left of a baby llama to turn in for payment. In fact there isn't anything at all. By the press releases sounds like these woofs really like flossing with wool once they found those silly sheep they smacked them hard.

Am I reading this correctly, you had a baby llama killed by wolf predation?

Who investigated your wolf depredation claim? What did the investigation involve?

One of my main objections to reintro in CO was that it would result in wolf deaths that would not have happened if they were left to their native territory. Before the election I made the case everywhere I could that relocation to CO is a death sentence for at least some of the wolves, because there is not enough unpopulated acreage in CO to limit wolf-human-livestock conflicts. In watching CPW's response to the vote and ever since, it seems they have known all along this is the reality and are going through a 'good faith' exercise to comply w the law, which will certainly continue to be at the expense of the lives of livestock and relocated wolves. Shameful.

To quote todays email from CPW: “The Colorado Wolf Restoration and Management Plan states that CPW will not relocate wolves with depredation histories into the wild within Colorado.”

So where in the hell are they relocating these wolves then? Some big pen somewhere?

The email goes on to say that the 4 pups did not predate on livestock, therefore they can be reintroduced at a later date. No sh*t, they were pups, but they obviously saw where mom and dad were getting groceries. What a joke.

Actually the reimbursement program works well. I've necropsied dozens of calves, ewes, lambs, horses, and even a few guard dogs with short fused ranchers standing over my shoulder expecting me to verify wolf or lion kills. If I find no proof, they don't get paid, simple as that. if I can verify it as a kill,(wolf, bear, lion) I write it up in an IR (investigative report), and the process of compensation begins....There needs to be evidence.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back