Catch All Fishing Thread

I kept the stones. A handful more and I can make a necklace.

They taste as good as any freshwater fish. Cut the lateral line out and don’t let the slime touch the fillet. White and flaky flesh, but trout-like firmness.

I kept the stones. A handful more and I can make a necklace.

They taste as good as any freshwater fish. Cut the lateral line out and don’t let the slime touch the fillet. White and flaky flesh, but trout-like firmness.

The size of the one you got is a perfect one to eat.

I’m not sure how they got such a bad rap, but they are as good if not better than whitebass in my opinion (and guys keep those by the cooler-full). Willing biters, fun to catch and plentiful- respect for the sheepdog here!

I was trying( and failing) to identify the fish. Kept blinking at the picture for clarity.🤷‍♂️
Freshwater Drum is the more technical name. In the Midwest I've heard them mostly called sheepshead and croaker but also gaspergou.

Reactions: Hem
I’ve heard that in clear waters they are gold color instead of pinkish gray.

I have noticed that too, and the bigger they get the darker they seem to be. The Green Bay ones are like a golden garbage can lid, just pigs.

Every once in a while they will bite ice fishing, and strangely they seem to come through suspended. Bet those would be good once to keep and fry up but I never have caught enough through the ice to think about it.

Where you got that sheep, is that all the larger they get there? We catch them all the time on Lake Winnebago and Green Bay and we get them up to 25#. Most are in the 2-10# range.
I’ve only caught a handful at the local lake, and they’re all small. By the fish survey data a 6 lb sheep would be massive, and 0.5 to 1 lb is typical.

The Des Moines river has some lunkers.

20240730_115901.jpg

Don't get to fish for catfish much anymore, but got into some good action in a lightly fished lake in central TX on my last visit. If you have mixed luck on catching cats, use that T.V. brand frozen shrimp, can't go wrong.

20240805_160426.jpg

Also got into some good trout action in south ID - mostly rainbows, but got into this nice brown mixed in. Flies and certain jigs were the key.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back