Caribou Gear

Catch All Fishing Thread

Left my phone in the truck and of course I caught a monster (by Colorado standards) yellow perch. Didn't weigh it, measured at 13 inches.

Last edited:
That fish definitely looks different than the other. Definitely resembles a red drum.
It's really interesting to me to see pictures of fish which are uncommon in my realm.
Same family. This is the only freshwater species of drum and due to it being the same family as red drum (redfish) and black drum I don't understand why in the midwest they have a reputation for being a bad fish to eat. I totally disagree just like @Pucky Freak . Caught in warm waters and not put on ice right away, it's about the same as catching crappie that time of year in that the meat turns to mush really quick. We use ice in our cooler in the summer and get them cooled down fast and they taste just as good as anything else pretty much from these fresh waters

General process for that? Air brush or freehand? Type of paint?

I have a lot of spoons on similar condition.
-Remove hardware
-bench vise, 800 grit disk on dremel to remove old paint, rust, corrosion and nicks.
-1200 grit disk to polish the top side if you’re not painting it.
-adhesion promoter/clear primer spray
-(I painted the gold spoon on both sides)
-two thin coats of the base color
-box cutter on a 12 pk pop box to cut the stencils.
-spray stencil design
-quick spray from 2 feet away for any mottling
-crystal clear enamel final coat
-Replace w/ new treble hooks

There are not many toothed fish to go after in central Iowa and I can’t remember the last time I ever used a spoon. I got tired of looking at those sad lures from the 80’s and 90’s and fixed em up instead of pitching them.

I
Same family. This is the only freshwater species of drum and due to it being the same family as red drum (redfish) and black drum I don't understand why in the midwest they have a reputation for being a bad fish to eat. I totally disagree just like @Pucky Freak . Caught in warm waters and not put on ice right away, it's about the same as catching crappie that time of year in that the meat turns to mush really quick. We use ice in our cooler in the summer and get them cooled down fast and they taste just as good as anything else pretty much from these fresh waters
don’t know anyone in Mississippi that eats those fish

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back