Advertisement

Browning BLR Accuracy??

Hi MS 9x56
I'm not sure if I can find time for hand loading. Thanks for your input though.
What animals would you have missed with 1.25 MOA? Seriously, I sometimes wonder about the obsession with precision. I am curious how your modifications work, but my Belgian BLR was not as accurate as yours and yet it still killed stuff, just fine, though I hated the gun.

I've had a BLR in .308 since I was 12 - and am now 48. I used to shoot 150 Nosler Partitions in it - and I was around 1.5 MOA. I've shot lots of deer, Elk and antelope with that load. The animals didn't know I wasn't shooting an MOA.

I switched over to some 180 Nosler Partitions (Protected Point, not spitzer) a couple years ago - and I can consistently group around 1 MOA. I also upgraded from a Weaver K4 to a Leupold 3-9 Vari-X II. The Weaver finally started showing some fogging so I thought it best to replace it.

I do want to try some of the Hammer's that are similar to the P. Pt (I forget their brand-name). But I have a few hundred of the 180 P. Pt's

What animals would you have missed with 1.25 MOA? Seriously, I sometimes wonder about the obsession with precision. I am curious how your modifications work, but my Belgian BLR was not as accurate as yours and yet it still killed stuff, just fine, though I hated the gun.
hi @BrentD ,
nothing as of yet. I've just bought this rifle about a month ago brand new. But I imagine myself hunting spring black bear up North of Canada which quite often can happen to be grazing on the forestry clear outs in month of May where shooting distances can be 50 to 300 yds. And the bears are very tough when wounded. 2 yrs ago I took a 350LB one at 80 yds which run off 250 yds in the woods having both lungs destroyed and spitting blood and tissue through the exit wound which was of tangerine size. It took me about 2h to find that bear.
Last year I took two bears and two wtails using my Sauer s100 XT 6.5 Creed. The distances were under 100 yds in all the cases. Still, the mentioned 300yds scenario is very possible. I imagine that having 1.25 MOA group can deliver a kind of doubtfull results at 300 yds which is a "no-no" to shoot bears. My Sauer is an excellent shooter but I'm aging and kinda getting tired to haul it around together with Vortex 3-15x44mm PST-II scope while walking and stalking my game. This is why I've spent over $2500 CAD on this .308 BLR TD + LVPO 1-6x24 Vortex setup.
Today I've pulled the gaping inserts out. Hope to test shoot it again this week.

I've had a BLR in .308 since I was 12 - and am now 48. I used to shoot 150 Nosler Partitions in it - and I was around 1.5 MOA. I've shot lots of deer, Elk and antelope with that load. The animals didn't know I wasn't shooting an MOA.

I switched over to some 180 Nosler Partitions (Protected Point, not spitzer) a couple years ago - and I can consistently group around 1 MOA. I also upgraded from a Weaver K4 to a Leupold 3-9 Vari-X II. The Weaver finally started showing some fogging so I thought it best to replace it.

I do want to try some of the Hammer's that are similar to the P. Pt (I forget their brand-name). But I have a few hundred of the 180 P. Pt's
Hi buddy,
what distances were to shoot antelopes? Just curios. Elk has large kill zone, so I imagine there must be no issues. We don't have antelopes and Elks in Eastern Canada.
The wtails are easy to get under 200 yds. Normally I get them under 100 yds. The farthest was 250 yds.

Deer and Antelope - out to 300 yards - the average is probably around 150. The farthest elk with that gun was 330 yards and the closest elk was maybe 10 feet.

I have two BLR's. one, I bought new in .300 win mag, and a used one I bought in 7mm Rem Mag in stainless. The 7 mag is right at 1" to 13/16" groups with Federal Premium 160 gr TSXs. The one in .300 likes Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Copper pills. It shoots groups around 1 3/16". And they are consistent. I had them out to the long range to sight them in out to 600 yards. I have a lot of confidence that I am getting consistent groups day to day & week to week. Stupid question: Do you break those rifles down after you're done for the day? I hope you arn't using a Lead Sled. Could you list of brands of ammo here? Do you have a Garmin Chrono? Bought one. They are very accurate. I would never trust these new cheap chronos. They are made in China!! That says it all. Junk. Most likely not very precise. I do notice that cheap ammo has pretty wide extreme spreads in velocity, which means accuracy swings to me.

Now the 2 new BAR's I bought, one in .300 win mag and the other in .270 Win are another story. I changed the rings on the .270 today because the power ring on the Meopta scope was hitting the mount, and it didn't move the scope far enough forward to focus properly. So I got super high mounts and it solve the problem. I'll take them both to the range tomorrow. I was getting 1.25" groups, then 4-5" groups. Weird shit happening. POI moving around.

I have two BLR's. one, I bought new in .300 win mag, and a used one I bought in 7mm Rem Mag in stainless. The 7 mag is right at 1" to 13/16" groups with Federal Premium 160 gr TSXs. The one in .300 likes Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Copper pills. It shoots groups around 1 3/16". And they are consistent. I had them out to the long range to sight them in out to 600 yards. I have a lot of confidence that I am getting consistent groups day to day & week to week. Stupid question: Do you break those rifles down after you're done for the day? I hope you arn't using a Lead Sled. Could you list of brands of ammo here? Do you have a Garmin Chrono? Bought one. They are very accurate. I would never trust these new cheap chronos. They are made in China!! That says it all. Junk. Most likely not very precise. I do notice that cheap ammo has pretty wide extreme spreads in velocity, which means accuracy swings to me.

Now the 2 new BAR's I bought, one in .300 win mag and the other in .270 Win are another story. I changed the rings on the .270 today because the power ring on the Meopta scope was hitting the mount, and it didn't move the scope far enough forward to focus properly. So I got super high mounts and it solve the problem. I'll take them both to the range tomorrow. I was getting 1.25" groups, then 4-5" groups. Weird shit happening. POI moving around.
Hi buddy,
I when I was breaking in the SS TD barrel I was cleaning it right in the field each 2-3 shots using copper brush, jag and Rem "Brite Bore" spray can.
Then 2nd outing I was using just a bore snake, did 2-3 passes after switching ammo.
After this I did more thorough bore cleaning at home using jag and Hoppe's copper removal liquid. I didn't shoot it since then yet. It is damn rainy weather here in Canada this week. I removed the barrel band and waiting for another chance to go to the range...
I don't have a chronograph.
Did you follow the torque specs for your scope rings? Or just by hand feeling?.. I had a similar problem which was solved by using a proper torque wrench (Wheeler Fat Wrench) to apply correct torque values. No problems so far. Also, I use Burris Zee scope rings with eсcentriс +/-10 MOA polimer inserts -- these enable you to boresight the scope before tightening it up. No lapping needed, no scratches on the scope. You set each turrent in the middle (normally for a new scope it is already done by factory) then manipulate/rotate only those plastic inserts to boresight your scope. I love this idea. Intstaled the same kind of scope rings on my BLR too.

Here is the ammo list. You've made me to look up the invoice. ;) Disregard the prices - those are in Canadian dollars ))
Federal Extremely Low Drag 308 Win 178 Gr eXpanding ELD-X Box of 20 × 1 $53.99
FEDERAL VITAL-SHOK 308 WIN 150 GR NOSLER PARTITION BOX OF 20 × 1 $54.99
Federal Premium Berger Hybrid 308 Win 168 gr Berger Hybrid Box of 20 × 1 $52.19
Sako Gamehead 308 Win 180 Gr SP Box of 20 × 2 $85.98
Sellier & Bellot 308 Win 150Gr SPCE Ammunition Box of 20 × 1 $35.99
Sellier & Bellot 308 Win 180Gr SP Box of 20 × 1 $35.99
Federal Power-Shok 308 Win 150Gr JSP Box of 20 × 1 $32.99
-- the Federal Power-Shock and Sako have shown best groups so far.

p.s. My other rifle (Sauer 100 XT 6.5 Creed) loves Sako ammo too. Also, Hornady ELD ammo groups well out of Sauer barrel too. I was able to make 3-4 shot touching holes groups at 250 yds - which is less than 0.5 MOA

Last edited:
Hi buddy,
I when I was breaking in the SS TD barrel I was cleaning it right in the field each 2-3 shots using copper brush, jag and Rem "Brite Bore" spray can.
Then 2nd outing I was using just a bore snake, did 2-3 passes after switching ammo.
After this I did more thorough bore cleaning at home using jag and Hoppe's copper removal liquid. I didn't shoot it since then yet. It is damn rainy weather here in Canada this week. I removed the barrel band and waiting for another chance to go to the range...
Did you follow the torque specs for your scope rings? Or just by hand feeling?.. I had a similar problem which was solved by using a proper torque wrench (Wheeler Fat Wrench) to apply correct torque values. No problems so far. Also, I use Burris Zee scope rings with eсcentriс +/-10 MOA polimer inserts -- these enable you to boresight the scope before tightening it up. No lapping needed, no scratches on the scope. You set each turrent in the middle (normally for a new scope it is already done by factory) then manipulate/rotate only those plastic inserts to boresight your scope. I love this idea. Intstaled the same kind of scope rings on my BLR too.

Here is the ammo list. You've made me to look up the invoice. ;) Disregard the prices - those are in Canadian dollars ))

p.s. My other rifle (Sauer 100 XT 6.5 Creed) loves Sako ammo too. Also, Hornady ELD ammo groups well out of Sauer barrel too. I was able to make 3-4 shot touching holes groups at 250 yds - which is less than 0.5 MOA
Now that’s a group I would like to see!

Hi buddy,

I personally think that barrel cleaning and all that break-in process is total bullsht. Machining has improved 1000% in the last 20 years, adn consequently barrel making. These abrrels evemn from the mass producers are so myuch better. There is no break in. Total marketing. When manufacturing processes were not as good 20-30 years ago, maybe you needed to do that, but I don't believe that matters these days. I have cleaned the barrel but only after Ive shot it maybe 5 or 6 boxes of ammo. I have found that the barrel just wasn't that dirty. Also used copper cleaner.

Id try using some Hornady precision Hunter ammo and more Federal Premium ammo with different bullet types and weight. Try Hornady Outfitter also and Winchester Trophy Copper. Just my observation, but it seems like you are generally shooting the cheaper factory ammos like Sellier, Vital Shok, Power Shok. Try Federal Premium. The cheaper ammos definitely have more velocity swings. Soemtimes some of these Youtube videos get way too anal. For a hunting rifle, wind is your biggest enemy. If my rifles shoot 1" groups, I happier than a pig in shit. Then, it ain't the arrow, it's the indian. I would NEVER use a bore snake. I use a benchrest rod coated in plastic so I never damage the crown. I'm absolutely anal and careful inserting the rod in the barrel. These are lever actions and semi autos so I have to insert the rod in the muzzles.

I did have a buddy with a torque wrench, I called Zeiss & Leupold for the torq specs (and they did vary BTW), we levelled the scope with a level and also by sight, and I had a rifle rest. I din't bore sight, I just use a huge cardboard piece behind the target to see where the bullet hits. Works for me.

In my 52 years of shooting I have never had to”break in” a barrel. It’s not because machining is now1000 % better. It’s because “barrel break in” has always been total BS.

These guys know something about rifle barrels bcause they make them. Govt and many PRC folks are their customers. https://riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire-maintenance/
The one thing I agree with in their instructions is copper fouling. When Ivtried the then new Barnes solid copper bullets I had horrible copper fouling. Took a lot of work getting it all out. But that can occur with a new or broken in barrel. I assume since they sell barrels they also want to sell you their magic pill bullets to “ break in” your barrel and then more magic cleaning solution to get out the copper fouling. Good luck and deep pockets if you follow their directions.

The one thing I agree with in their instructions is copper fouling. When Ivtried the then new Barnes solid copper bullets I had horrible copper fouling. Took a lot of work getting it all out. But that can occur with a new or broken in barrel. I assume since they sell barrels they also want to sell you their magic pill bullets to “ break in” your barrel and then more magic cleaning solution to get out the copper fouling. Good luck and deep pockets if you follow their directions.
I've been reading few of their articles. I do not recall them trying to sell you any stuff besides their barrels. There is ton of things on market to choose from. I doubt if anyone can invent some sort of a "magic pill" today.

Everyone has an opinion. I don't try to talk anyone. Worst case, if breaking procedure doesn't help as much then it doesn't hurt either. One need to check new barrel shooting anyways before taking it hunting. So why not? This process doesn't take any special extra cash.

I.e. I do not believe in odor eliminators. My common sense tells me that if hunter breathing then he spreading his odor anyways. Then why bother? But people love buying fancy expensive shit for hunting, including sitka, etc, which makes very unnatural noises while going though brush or tall grass. So what?..

BLR in .308 shoots into a 3-inch cluster at 200 yards with 180 grain core-lokt ammo.
congrats on tagging out. It is good that budget ammo works well for your BLR.

In my area we start bow season in October for 2 weeks, then 5 days of blk powder and shotgun. And only then from Nov-09 till Nov-24 we have rifle season. The root starts from the end of October. So November is always a hope for me getting a trophy buck. So far I've scored 9pts(5x4) at some 60 yds in 2020 and 10pts(6x4) in 2022 at 40 yds using shotgun and slug. Both bucks were about 260 lbs. Tracked down, stalked and provoked to come to me.
-- rem 783 in .308 and Core-Lokt -- sold it this year
- a380 + slug

My .308 BLR SS TD is yet to earn some hunting glory. Going to test couple more of 150gn ammo brands today.

Not everyone can work on the BLR trigger, but I found a guy in Austin that has the mojo. They can be made better. Acceptable, even!
... too bad Browning didn't have enough respect for its customers to improve a trigger on a high price point gun that was well known to be problematic ... they probably have lost considerable market share to Henrys Long Ranger which is essentially a BLR with a free floated barrel and a good trigger outa the box

I have a pre 81 in 308 with an old weaver 3-9x on it and I can ring the 12" plate at 200m offhand braced with a sling until my shoulder or wallet says stop.

I will agree the trigger on my x-Bolt is miles better but it's a lot of rifle to carry when I'm never going to take a shot over 200m here in the BC bush.
... I have a BLR '81 Lightweight stainless takedown in 308 Win with straight stock & barrel band that "likes" the Federal Power Shok 180 grain factory ammo ... repeatable & consistent sub MOA 3-shot groups @ 100 yds ... I have an identical "blue" version BLR '81 Lightweight takedown in 308 Win that "likes" the Federal Fusion 165 grain factory ammo and delivers consistent sub MOA 3-shot groups @ 100 yds ... if I switch the ammo between the two BLRs the best I can achieve is 2.5" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds ... GO FIGURE!

... some will burn out the barrel of a rifle and spend $thousands on ammo trying to shave an extra 1/4 MOA off the groups and then go hunt animals the size of a roadside billboard ... GO FIGURE

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back