Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Lead Sled Issues

The only truly good luck I’ve had with a led sled was testing loads in my turkey guns. You’re not looking for the same level of precision and you are sure glad to have something soaking up some of the recoil !!!

Well, I finally got a tiny break in the heat and humidity and got out this morning to do a 2nd check on the rifles I'll be taking up to Montana in the Fall for elk and mule deer season. I think I settled in on the Browning BLR's in .300 win mag with Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Copper and a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x42, a stainless BLR in 7mm Rem Mag with Federal Premium 160gr TSXs and a Zeiss Conquest4 4-16x44 (this will be my mule deer rifle), and a Browning BAR Mark3 with Federal Premium 200gr Terminal Ascents and another Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x42 All are shooting 1" or less groups. Boy, what a cluster fck of problems from mounting the scopes, using the lead sled to burn up ammo, then last week the indian must have had glaucomo cause there were a number of flyers. Two buddies that are experienced shooters think I was just over tired from the heat and humidity and throwing shots.Also, they thought that I was switching rifles too fast annd not rested in between enough and it was affecting my concentration. I also bring along a shotgun, probably a 20ga Browning auto for bird hunting.

I am quite pleased with the groups from these rifles considering that they're not bolt action rifles. I did have one flyer with the .338 BAR. Curious to here your opinions. These were all shot at 100 yards and the black bull is exactly 1". I hadn't been shooting much in the last 10 years and I had to find a new range to shoot at instead of the public range with all the yahoos with new 16" barrel AR's that shot my targets. I ran through about 700 rounds total, so I feel that it has helped my trigger control tremendously. That guy Ryan Kleckner had a great suggestion I saw about 3 years ago. He said "Call your shot". In other words, it forces you to concentrate on the target and keeps your focus there. I posted a thread about a year ago if anybody knew the accuracy of the new BLR's and BAR's. Well, this should be definite proof.

One more thing. I recently started buying Zeiss Conquest4 scopes. Ive been a Leupold lover for years. I'll tell ya what, When I was doing tall target tests with these new rifles, the Leupolds were the ones that didn't cut the mustard. The Zeiss's adjusted spot on to 5,10, and 15 MOA. The Leupolds at the 10 & 15, and sometimes the 5MOA were high by 1" 1.5", and 2"; in that order for 5,10,15MOA. Leupold said I need to work the turret 6-7 times all the way up & down and right and left to work in the grease. Hmmm, yet all the Zeiss's worked spot on. Somewhat disappointed in Leupold. These were new scopes that came from the factory. Fortunately, inm all my scopoes I have a christmas tree-type reticle. Impact29 in the Leupolds and the ZBi in the Zeiss. Leupold did give my a trick to use at lower powers with a 2nd focal plane scope. Maybe lots of you know it already, so sorry if I bore you. At the range, you can test what the impact of lower powers is in the reticle by just taking a tall target with 5,10, & 15 MOA on your target 100 yards away, and just reduce the power on the scope. So, for the V% 3-15 power, the reticle is good at the highest power. As an easy example, if you reduce the power to 7.5 (50% of the 15 power) then each of the marks in the reticle is roughly worth double, right, so if your holdover is 10MOA, you now hold on the 5MOA mark. At really lower powers you need to confirm visually in say at 3 power, your holdover in 20% of what it is at full power. FYI. I make up a table that I attach to the butt of my rifle with these various holdovers at 16 power, 12 power, 10 power, & 8 power out at various yardages out to 600 yards and every 50 yards. I also have a table for windage.

Attachments

• 20240716_132614_resized.jpg
    20240716_132614_resized.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240722_131122_resized.jpg
    20240722_131122_resized.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240722_131131_resized.jpg
    20240722_131131_resized.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240722_131149_resized.jpg
    20240722_131149_resized.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240722_131154_resized.jpg
    20240722_131154_resized.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Are the issues with a LS only when secured with sandbags or something? Wouldn’t it be fine to use without any of it secured down and just cradle the rifle in it loose?

Are the issues with a LS only when secured with sandbags or something? Wouldn’t it be fine to use without any of it secured down and just cradle the rifle in it loose?
No. The rifle would be fairly loose and flop around. The DFT2, which I bought, actually has a barrel strap. The butt part needs a towel or whatever to hold the rifle steadier. The issue is that the sed affects the barrel harmonics by not letting the rifle move more freely.

I own a lead sled, don't use it to shoot with but I do use it to install scopes and for gun cleaning and what not.

For range shooting like most, I use bags.
That's a good idea. I have a sled as I was jonsing to shoot a new gun I had, but had my shoulder worked on by a chiro who suggested holding off until healed. I bought a sled, noticed bad groups on a rifle that had good groups and called my buddy, an avid shooter. So 4 years later I have this sled in my garage. But it would make a decent vise to use to clean guns.

No. Even the light ones, unweighted, dont allow the rifle to recoil normally. In addition, they don't actually help shoot better unless a guy has some physical condition or lacks basic shooting fundamentals.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back