Help which rifle to buy

Of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the X-bolt. I've owned about a dozen and every one of them has been a shooter and has been flawless. I've owned a couple of XPRs and, for some reason, I just couldn't warm up to them. I'm guessing it was they way it fit me being off somehow. Tikkas others have mentioned would also be a good choice. You said you aren't concerned with price. You may have meant of the two you listed. However, if you meant not concerned about price at all, I highly recommend the Seekins Havak.

I have three X-bolts that are sub-1/2" rifles every time I shoot them. I had two others but let them go as I didn't use those cartridges much.

I had a Tikka that shot nearly as well.
Both are fine rifles.

Not sure what everybody is spouting about "aftermarket support" for X-bolts except maybe they are repeating from something they read ten years ago.
You can get (admittedly limited) after market stocks, triggers and accessories for them.

I just bought a carbon fiber McMillan stock for one of mine.

I got the triggers down to well below 3 lbs on all of them with a $15 Mcarbo trigger spring.

Good luck.

I have to agree. I do love a savage. Just built a rifle on a savage ultralite action with the proof barrel. Should be a winner. The entry level 110s are amazing for the price.

So i want a new 300 win mag and can't decide. I have about 400 rnds of federal 180 gr soft points and 200 rnds of federal premium 180 gr barnes tsx factory ammo. I am considering a winchester XPR with 1 in 10 twist or a browning xbolt western hunter long range 1 in 8 twist both have 26" blued barrels. The winchester is $620.00 and browning $820.00 not concerned about price am more interested what twist for the ammo i have for elk hunting. Any input would be appreciated thanks in advance DAN.
I have 2 Tikkas in 300win both enjoy shooting barnes and both without muzzle brakes were a force to be reckoned with. Now that they have brakes they’re great to shoot. Keep in mind when buying new rifles keep in mind modifications that you will need or want to do in the future it can get pricey. Something to be said about buying an action and having a gun built. Tikkas are nice because you don’t have to buy a new trigger for the gun instead a $10 yo Dave spring. That is if you don’t want to shoot a 2.5+ lb trigger which I cannot stand. Either way I cannot state enough that a brake on a 300 is completely necessary.

Never needed a brake on my 300 winnie. People are different. But then again the only rifles I have breaks on are AR's and I take those god forsaken noise makers off if I'm going hunting. I guess maybe my ears are more important than my shoulder.

I have a Bergara Ridgeback in .300WM Premier Edition which came at a premium price point, but the other Models are just as accurate & should do quite well for Elk. I put a Recoil Hawg muzzle brake on it, that along with the weight of the Ridgeback makes the felt recoil just a tad more than my un-braked .308, its quite manageable.

The ridgeback is now discontinued, but you maybe able to find suitable model at:

Attachments

• berara.ridgeback.jpg
    berara.ridgeback.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 7
  • .300WM.jpg
    .300WM.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 7
Don’t overlook new production Remington model 700’s. The adl models can be had very reasonable and the ones I’ve bought recently are all good shooters. Aftermarket support is the best as well.

Don’t overlook new production Remington model 700’s. The adl models can be had very reasonable and the ones I’ve bought recently are all good shooters. Aftermarket support is the best as well.
IDK, Remington when through a rough patch for a few years recently and their QC went to shit. some 700s were 3 MOA rifles.

IDK, Remington when through a rough patch for a few years recently and their QC went to shit. some 700s were 3 MOA rifles.
Ya they did and they’re under new ownership with a state of the art facility in Lagrange Georgia. Notice I said new production?

Some bergaras won’t eject spent brass some Browning’s have chatter marks in the bore some Remingtons are 3 moa. Etc etc etc. there’s always the some.

I bought a Seekins ph2 last year in 7mm Rem Mag last year and I love it. It will shoot anything I run through it, reloaded or factory ammo. I would definitely buy another. The price is at the lower end of custom rifles but it's not a custom rifle. If I had to pick another brand I would go with a an xbolt or Bergara of some sort. I've never had an xbolt but I've read good things and the price isn't bad and Bergara is good depending on the model you get and weight of the models.

I bought a Seekins ph2 last year in 7mm Rem Mag last year and I love it. It will shoot anything I run through it, reloaded or factory ammo. I would definitely buy another. The price is at the lower end of custom rifles but it's not a custom rifle. If I had to pick another brand I would go with a an xbolt or Bergara of some sort. I've never had an xbolt but I've read good things and the price isn't bad and Bergara is good depending on the model you get and weight of the models.
Yes, Seekins would probably be the best mass produced gun out there.

A bit more expensive but for $1800 it is a lot of gun... especially when some Savage, Browning and Tilka rifles are topping out above $1400 and some over $2K.

I wanted a 280AI. But I wanted a 1@8 and a 24 inch or longer barrel. I was looking hard that the Savage Ultralight. And the Wby 307 and Christensen to. I ended up going with a Browning Xbolt. Browning offer a 1@8 26-inch threaded barrel . I bought the Hells Canyon Speed Long Range 280AI. I can shoot the hornady eld x 175 and m 180 gr bullets. I spent 20.00 on a McCarbo trigger spring. Got the trigger just a hair under 2 pds. I ended up setting at 2 pds. Alway wanted a 1@8 twist. Because I can play around different grains of bullets. Topped it with a Leupold VX6 HD 4x24x52mm TMOA reticle scope. I have my setup for next spring bear hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back