6.8 Western Accuracy Expectations Unrealistic?

I have a Browning X bolt western hunter chambered in 6.8 Western. Scope is a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 with the Browning integrated scope mounts. I am tearing my hair out (figuratively, I shave my head) over the accuracy of this thing. I've had if for over a year now. I've shot 340 rounds through it, including following Browning's recommended barrel break in process. Used 3 types of factory ammo from and the BEST I can get at 100 yards is 1.5-2 inch groups. At 200 yards I get 4in groups all day long.

I've remounted and checked torque screws (FYI-those nice little fix it sticks torque stix? Don't trust them. My set was torquing at 30% less than my digital wheeler gunsmithing torque wrench). I made some alterations to the stock fore end because it came from the factory with a big glob of epoxy touching the barrel in front of the rectangular lug so now the barrel is free floated all the way to the action. I have a different scope coming so I can test out another scope to see if the Leupold is the problem (I don't know if I trust the adjustments to track correctly). I've shot with front and rear sandbags from prone and from shooting table with similar results.

Am I ever going to see MOA or sub-MOA groups with this gun without hand loading? Am I expecting too much? Did I drink the Kool aid of the "hot, super accurate, high BC" cult and get burned? Do I have a lemon? Time to move on?
Don't no how much it helps but I shot Winchester long range hunters I believe is the name they use 165gr accubonds in my xbolt they shot just a bit over 1in groups at 200

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back