Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Brother's ?

antlerradar

We kind on got off message in the Montana Proposal thread so I thought I would start a new one.
I think that these two buck are closely related. As you can see in the pictures the antlers of the two bucks are very similar, the bottom forks are almost identical. same shape, blading and almost the same length on the points. The only big difference is in the brow tines. The bucks lived less than two miles apart and my best guess is that the buck with the smaller brow tine was born in 90 and the large brow tine buck was born in 91. I could be off by a year ether way. I saw close thirty 170 or better bucks within a few miles of where these two bucks lived and dozens of other old bucks will lesser antlers. These two bucks are the best of the best, easily in the top 5 I have seen close to where they lived. I am thinking it is likely that they are half brothers, maybe even full brothers. Thought from the rest of you?DSCN4931.JPGDSCN4932.JPG

Last edited:
Obviously nobody can say definitively, but they sure appear to have a lot of similarities. Awesome finds!

Never mind its not. The bottom pic wouldn't load for me. Possibly relation though.

I wonder what you would need to get DNA from shed antlers?
There is a drop down on their site:

"Collect samples by drilling into the core of the bone or antler to the full depth of a 3mm (1/8") drill bit. Don't burn the sample!
Bone and antler shavings should be stored dry in unwaxed paper envelopes. Tape the envelope closed if you are worried about shavings leaking out."

If anyone does this please let me know, curious. I can assist in shipping across border if needed as we have a USFWS import/export permit.

Killed off to a point 1991 or what ever along time ago. Bucks travel a ways in the rut. They rut low. Mostly.

I don't c some genetics in certain units that I did 20 to 30 yrs ago.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back