NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Bowhunters - not a big impact?

With archery, there is no way to separate wounding loss and total loss (death) out. I've wounded bulls (shoulder or high above lungs) and seen them weeks later rutting cows and fighting other bulls. I've also found many a broadhead (among other wounds) in bulls that I shot that had completely healed over. I've only ever processed one elk that had a different bullet in it. Sample size of 80+.

I also agree we need a better understanding of archery success. That is only gonna happen with mandatory reporting.

I don't know how you guys are finding so many crippled critters. I have seen a handful in my life-time and I spend ALOT of time in the field. One fall we did find a nice (300") bull in an OTC unit dead and later a spike with an arrow sticking out of a hind quarter. The spike was running around like nothing was wrong.

Anecdotally, my worst outcomes have been on the short shots with antelope. Within 35-40 yards there is just no way they aren't aware of me for whatever reason. The "further" shots its easier for me to draw and shoot without being detected. I'm not dropping bombs @ 100, but probably outside what most of you would consider right/ethical/whatever.

Im glad he deleted it.

Should've never been posted with that caption in the first place.

But if people are going to post such idiotic things, they need to be policed by other hunters. They need to be told how f'n stupid what they did is. Maybe by doing that we can discourage others from pulling the same stunts or at the very least from posting about it.

Should've never been posted with that caption in the first place.

But if people are going to post such idiotic things, they need to be policed by other hunters. They need to be told how f'n stupid what they did is. Maybe by doing that we can discourage others from pulling the same stunts or at the very least from posting about it.
Meh - i commented on the post. Politely (ish?) assessing his jackassery and then it was deleted.

Anecdotally, my worst outcomes have been on the short shots with antelope. Within 35-40 yards there is just no way they aren't aware of me for whatever reason. The "further" shots its easier for me to draw and shoot without being detected. I'm not dropping bombs @ 100, but probably outside what most of you would consider right/ethical/whatever.
Only one I’ve hit dirty was same thing at 35 yards I looked for that buck for 2 days

Only one I’ve hit dirty was same thing at 35 yards I looked for that buck for 2 days
It's not just goats. Pretty much the same thing for bulls. I have two sub-15 yard bulls I've shoulder knuckled. I gotta hit a beach ball at 12 yards but I laser it right into the baseball bat.

Interestingly, my positive results with everything are heavy skewed in favor of giant expandable broadheads. I'm shooting a 2.1" at elk again this year.

It's not just goats. Pretty much the same thing for bulls. I have two sub-15 yard bulls I've shoulder knuckled. I gotta hit a beach ball at 12 yards but I laser it right into the baseball bat.

Interestingly, my positive results with everything are heavy skewed in favor of giant expandable broadheads. I'm shooting a 2.1" at elk again this year.
What speed/arrow weight/broadhead? Curious - cause this is counter the typical story. Ive shot expandables, and fixed, and finally found a fixed that flys well so im set for the year. . . But i like the expandables in principle.

What speed/arrow weight/broadhead? Curious - cause this is counter the typical story. Ive shot expandables, and fixed, and finally found a fixed that flys well so im set for the year. . . But i like the expandables in principle.
80lbs, 28.5" draw, 495gr arrow. I haven't shot through a chrono in years, but I imagine it is 280 fps +/-. I do carry fixed heads in my quiver (they fly the same as the big mechs out to 60 or so before the extra drag starts affecting them more) in case of a frontal or hard quartering shot that is close. Other than that, give me all the 2"+ expendables I can get.

I'm also hand sharpening all my expandable blades to terrifying sharp. From what I've seen that has made a big difference in time to expiration and penetration. The photos are the entrance on a WY muley and my MT bull last year

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_192626443.jpg
    IMG_20230912_192626443.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20231014_180733964.jpg
    IMG_20231014_180733964.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
80lbs, 28.5" draw, 495gr arrow. I haven't shot through a chrono in years, but I imagine it is 280 fps +/-. I do carry fixed heads in my quiver (they fly the same as the big mechs out to 60 or so before the extra drag starts affecting them more) in case of a frontal or hard quartering shot that is close. Other than that, give me all the 2"+ expendables I can get.

I'm also hand sharpening all my expandable blades to terrifying sharp. From what I've seen that has made a big difference in time to expiration and penetration. The photos are the entrance on a WY muley and my MT bull last year
I had a interesting conversation with a guy that kills big bulls consistently and he told me it’s a mechanical for him till the shot is out past 60 then he will shoot a fixed head due to the fixed head takes less energy to kill. Also his out past 60 is second arrow territory I thought it made sense and backwards from most people’s logic

I had a interesting conversation with a guy that kills big bulls consistently and he told me it’s a mechanical for him till the shot is out past 60 then he will shoot a fixed head due to the fixed head takes less energy to kill. Also his out past 60 is second arrow territory I thought it made sense and backwards from most people’s logic
I've shot bulls out to 70 with no penetration problems on the 2" mech. I can definitely see his perspective if he is shooting a normal setup (60-70 lbs and 425-450gr arrow). The point is people need to be thoughtful on their arrow setup that it is fitting their needs and not some internet "standard". I got 26-27" of penetration (to the nock) on this hard quartered away bull at 52 yards. He made it about 30 yards. 1.75" mech

Attachments

• 20201011_084309.jpg
    20201011_084309.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 38
I've shot bulls out to 70 with no penetration problems on the 2" mech. I can definitely see his perspective if he is shooting a normal setup (60-70 lbs and 425-450gr arrow). The point is people need to be thoughtful on their arrow setup that it is fitting their needs and not some internet "standard". I got 26-27" of penetration (to the nock) on this hard quartered away bull at 52 yards. He made it about 30 yards. 1.75" mech
Ill hand sharpening my mech this year especially given the size of the moose I plan on jamming it thru

Ill hand sharpening my mech this year especially given the size of the moose I plan on jamming it thru
I suggest getting the "Stay Sharp" replaceable blade guide if you don't have it already. I sharpen to 2500 grit and strop.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
explorer's_workbench
Back