Advertisement

Bowhunters - not a big impact?

How’d you meet that guy? 😳😅😅
Long time friend of his, met him as I knew his college roommate. Lots of other borderline unbelievable stories about him that are 100% fact such as him being nearly unable to walk drunk and knocking 3 men out cold in the R bar in under 5 seconds. He’s a legendary human -regardless of his bad decisions made one fall over 20 seasons ago..

He’s killed some huge bull elk - even found a couple of them.

Long time friend of his, met him as I knew his college roommate. Lots of other borderline unbelievable stories about him that are 100% fact such as him being nearly unable to walk drunk and knocking 3 men out cold in the R bar in under 5 seconds. He’s a legendary human -regardless of his bad decisions made one fall over 20 seasons ago..

He’s killed some huge bull elk - even found a couple of them.
Sounds like he’s got some lucky underpants…. 😄

What is too far?
I don’t have near the sample size or experience as some of these other guys. I’ve had stuff get western more often than not much over 40. I used to have a 3 pin sight growing up and the top pin was 10. Wasn’t an uncommon configuration in the late 90’s. Times have changed for sure. I know guys that seem to have better luck than me with 40-60 yard shots. I try getting to 35 or less. Most the time I have.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Everyone else talking about shooting much further must be a hell of alot better shot than me.
Shot my bull at 55 last year. Would shoot 60, but always hope for a closer opportunity.

There was a time id have shot 80 (absolute ideal conditions) but im not practiced enough anymore and think the risks are too bad beyond 60 even if i was.

Just interesting to see what others think is ethical or not ethical. The thing that is absolutely true about archery - the sound of the bow will beat the arrow. The longer the shot the more time they have to react. No matter how good of a shot you are - there is an obvious risk they'll move and you simply cant predict that... especially with something as small and as fast as pronghorn. If they know you are there and you are shooting a long ways - you will wound them.

Thats why i suggested tradtional equipment only. You cant just slide your sight and let it rip.

Shot my bull at 55 last year. Would shoot 60, but always hope for a closer opportunity.

There was a time id have shot 80 (absolute ideal conditions) but im not practiced enough anymore and think the risks are too bad beyond 60 even if i was.

Just interesting to see what others think is ethical or not ethical. The thing that is absolutely true about archery - the sound of the bow will beat the arrow. The longer the shot the more time they have to react. No matter how good of a shot you are - there is an obvious risk they'll move and you simply cant predict that... especially with something as small and as fast as pronghorn. If they know you are there and you are shooting a long ways - you will wound them.

Thats why i suggested tradtional equipment only. You cant just slide your sight and let it rip.
Couple years ago I shot at an antelope in its bed at 60 head was looking away from me and had no idea I was there. When my arrow reached its mark it was met with a cloud of dust and that thing was 10’ from where it had been laying and leaving the country

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntTalkMa’am
Back