Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bowhunters - not a big impact?

799 was an exception to this.
Kinda think that was due to the over population in other units so they split it up so those units would have more tags. I’m actually surprised that they have gone back looked at the numbers and adjusted them

Kinda think that was due to the over population in other units so they split it up so those units would have more tags. I’m actually surprised that they have gone back looked at the numbers and adjusted them
That and everyone and all there relatives had give 799 a try after the 430 world record hit the dirt.

Alot of rifle hunters over estimate there capabilities as much as archers it's funny some think since they practice on a bench and can hit steel they should be hunting at those distances a majority of rifle hunters shouldn't be shooting over 300 yards in hunting situations

Alot of rifle hunters over estimate there capabilities as much as archers it's funny some think since they practice on a bench and can hit steel they should be hunting at those distances a majority of rifle hunters shouldn't be shooting over 300 yards in hunting situations
You’re not wrong- no different than the majority of the bowhunters screwing on broadheads right before they go hunting, having practiced with field points for a few weeks..

You’re not wrong- no different than the majority of the bowhunters screwing on broadheads right before they go hunting, having practiced with field points for a few weeks..
People don't understand how much a broadhead changes arrow flight... especially big fixed blades.

That being said, I practice out to 1,000 yards with a rifle, and 100 yards with my bow. But would never shoot a critter at those distances. Adrenaline, environmental effects, and the critters play a huge role in effective shooting distances.

For a good rule of thumb, I say cut the distance you practice to in half for your live target range. Species dependent too. I've had whitetails drop into a spine shot at 25 yards with a bow when i was younger. Elk obviously aren't as jumpy as a whitetail.

Overconfidence creates problems.

People don't understand how much a broadhead changes arrow flight... especially big fixed blades.

That being said, I practice out to 1,000 yards with a rifle, and 100 yards with my bow. But would never shoot a critter at those distances. Adrenaline, environmental effects, and the critters play a huge role in effective shooting distances.

For a good rule of thumb, I say cut the distance you practice to in half for your live target range. Species dependent too. I've had whitetails drop into a spine shot at 25 yards with a bow when i was younger. Elk obviously aren't as jumpy as a whitetail.

Overconfidence creates problems.
Yeah I like the 50% of practice rule too. That’s why I practice my bow out to 240 yards and rifle out to 2500 yards. Makes those 120 and 1250 yarders feel like chip shots.

Some wild numbers on lost animals to me. I think in my entire life I’ve found 3 bulls with arrows in them. That said most of my hunting has been in country much more heavily timbered than the breaks and eastern MT
One arrowed bull for me.
I find more cows during muzzle loader season.

Yeah I like the 50% of practice rule too. That’s why I practice my bow out to 240 yards and rifle out to 2500 yards. Makes those 120 and 1250 yarders feel like chip shots.
Those shots are tough with my Glock which is why I try to get within muggin distance of those suckers

In all seriousness this is a pretty good rule of thumb. Especially for archery ime.
Yes, it's a good starting point at the very least! Elk you could go a little further, but a whitetail doe you'd probably want to go a little less typically.

It's helpful if you need a follow up shot too. I won't take an 80 yard shot of a critter with a bow, but if I've arrowed it once and have a chance to put a second one in, I'm capable of doing so!

Maybe anecdotal but I do personally know a guy that shot and lost 5 bulls in one season - in one drainage in the Gallatin canyon 2 decades ago. The numbers and quality there is night and day 20 years later. Archery hunters kill a lot of animals, especially when you throw in the collateral damage.
How’d you meet that guy? 😳😅😅

….now a good time to tell you boys I got me a crossbow for this season!?
Watched one on the tube yesterday where the guy was hunting with both a compound and a crossbow. Crossbow was for if they needed to take a shot around 100 yards. He proceeded to kill a bull on high alert with a 90 yard quarrying away shot with the compound. A great display of poor judgment and ethics

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntTalkMa’am
Back