MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bowhunters - not a big impact?

I shot that bull about 10 years ago that black dot is the entrance on a super steep downhill shot when the arrow hit I didn’t think that bull would clear 100 yards. The pic was taken 3 days later and about 5 miles from where I shot him. I tried like hell to get another arrow in him. I filled my tag the following day on a different bull
You're a peach

I shot that bull about 10 years ago that black dot is the entrance on a super steep downhill shot when the arrow hit I didn’t think that bull would clear 100 yards. The pic was taken 3 days later and about 5 miles from where I shot him. I tried like hell to get another arrow in him. I filled my tag the following day on a different bull
That bull definitely lived - and you knew that. I've pulled broadheads and sections of carbon arrows, high like that, on 3 different bulls that had no signs of any injury, and maybe had been in there a few years.

Fwp does not have the data. You can call and ask. I asked at a meeting during the time frame they where breaking the 900 I got looked at like I had a hole in my head when I asked. To me it matters there is a difference between a bull killed on a 21 tag or a 20 tag even though the guys on a le rifle tag can also hunt archery
Point i was trying to make is when a unit has a limited quota of 50 male permits, and there's a harvest report showing 100+ males killed, that means at least 50 were killed on the statewide 900 permit. Don't forget how MANY more bowhunters it takes to kill that extra 50 animals. Lots of things, but FOR SURE the take away is bowhunters have a gigantic impact.

That bull definitely lived - and you knew that. I've pulled broadheads and sections of carbon arrows, high like that, on 3 different bulls that had no signs of any injury, and maybe had been in there a few years.
Problem is these guys wanna manage off feelings and their personal ethics. Neither really have a place fwp should be taking lost elk into consideration the same way they take into consideration 10% of people will never step foot in a le unit when they draw a tag

Point i was trying to make is when a unit has a limited quota of 50 male permits, and there's a harvest report showing 100+ males killed, that means at least 50 were killed on the statewide 900 permit. Don't forget how MANY more bowhunters it takes to kill that extra 50 animals. Lots of things, but FOR SURE the take away is bowhunters have a gigantic impact.
Fwp can’t tell you if 12 of that 100 plus was killed off those 50 le tags. That should also be something we are pushing for in the search for better information from fwp with mandatory reporting

Fwp can’t tell you if 12 of that 100 plus was killed off those 50 le tags. That should also be something we are pushing for in the search for better information from fwp with mandatory reporting
If that's the case then in that example 88 were killed on the 900 permit. My point even more valid.

I'm sure it just felt great for the elk to have an arrow embedded in it, right by the spine, for a few years.

Put a bullet in the same place and you don't have the same problem.

Can we agree that unfettered bowhunting might need to be re-evaluated after the fact it has a HUGE IMPACT on animals and hunting experience is accepted? I love bowhunting but wow. And everybody has a 100 yard bow these days..
I 100% agree with you. I wish the state would ban adjustable sights. Not sure how much it would help but it sure couldn’t hurt. I just hope if they ever do make changes it won’t be like they did with the elk. I doubt it would be due to no one is harboring massive amounts of antelope on their super ranch

I'm sure it just felt great for the elk to have an arrow embedded in it, right by the spine, for a few years.

Put a bullet in the same place and you don't have the same problem.
Hit this buck high with a magnum rifle at 250 yards. He folded. Then jumped up and ran off with the rest of the herd. I shot him hours later the same day 2 miles away rutting does. Kill shot is the lower little hole front of shoulder, below and left of the giant gaping hole. Infection might have got him later - who knows.
IMG_8436.jpeg

Fwp does not have the data. You can call and ask. I asked at a meeting during the time frame they where breaking the 900 I got looked at like I had a hole in my head when I asked. To me it matters there is a difference between a bull killed on a 21 tag or a 20 tag even though the guys on a le rifle tag can also hunt archery
I understand. Not really disagreeing, but I have seen references to harvest data on tags in other bio writeups. It makes me think they have data at a level they don’t share it with the public. At least easily. Again, more a part of FWP’s communication problem.

I understand. Not really disagreeing, but I have seen references to harvest data on tags in other bio writeups. It makes me think they have data at a level they don’t share it with the public. At least easily. Again, more a part of FWP’s communication problem.
FWP has the data for harvest stats (# killed) by license/permit type but not hunter effort (# hunters that took their tags for a walk) by license/permit type. Not sure why it’s not on the public site maybe to keep that simpler? Who knows. But almost any bio or manager should be able to fetch that data.

May be one of those things where they don’t want to confuse people

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back