MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bone saw

Then why do you split the pelvis and rib cage if you are going to quarter or debone right away? Honest question

To get it cool faster if you plan to leave the carcass whole for an amount of time, but if you quarter it right away then it seams like it'd be a waste of time to split it?
Just how I do it. And, gasp, I've left an elk overnight more than once. I don't debone. I like the quarters bone in. I bet I can get one in pieces my way as fast as boneless. 45 years of doing it helps. mtmuley

Just how I do it. And, gasp, I've left an elk overnight more than once. I don't debone. I like the quarters bone in. I bet I can get one in pieces my way as fast as boneless. 45 years of doing it helps. mtmuley
Controversial opinion, but I like to keep the quarters bone in too. They just pack nice and tight.

I deboned one once to pack it out. What a pain in the ass. It keeps things a lot cleaner if you leave that bone in and really isn’t adding a pile of weight. Since I kill bulls in archery im always in more of a hurry to get the meat to the truck and in the coolers full of ice so I wouldn’t waste the time knocking bone out.

I deboned one once to pack it out. What a pain in the ass. It keeps things a lot cleaner if you leave that bone in and really isn’t adding a pile of weight. Since I kill bulls in archery im always in more of a hurry to get the meat to the truck and in the coolers full of ice so I wouldn’t waste the time knocking bone out.
That and it seems like I’m always cutting one up in the dark in grizzly country. I like to get the meat out of there as quickly as possible instead of taking the time to bone it out.

Topic turning in to a competition.
My preference to gut.
My preference to carry with bone in...stemming from pack frame days.
LOL ...leave the saw behind because it weighs too much.

Topic turning in to a competition.
My preference to gut.
My preference to carry with bone in...stemming from pack frame days.
LOL ...leave the saw behind because it weighs too much.
What did you decide new saw or ol trusty?

Back