NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Back to New Mexico - Archery elk this time

seeth07

There is no doubt that New Mexico is very quickly rising to the top of our favorite state to go to. Seems like at least once a year we are headed to this great state and this year it will even be twice. This time around we are headed to a new area of the state - the Jemez Mountains. The season already opened on Sunday so I'm a little behind but we leave today and should be setting up and ready to do some road scouting by tomorrow evening.

I flung a couple hundred arrows over this last weekend while at bear camp and I'm feeling good and comfortable with it after a summer of being a bad sportsman and not practicing nearly as much as I should. On two previous elk hunts with the bow I got excited and shot the first cow on the second morning on an either sex tag that ran past at 5 yards instead of waiting for the big bull to keep coming. On the second trip I passed up on some smaller bulls/cows without any regrets of eating that tag in the end. This trip we will have a full 10 days to hunt which will include my wife helping as well as my cousin/girlfriend for this first weekend. I'm going to be patient and really soak in the experience and the expected beauty I'm envisioning of those mountains. Might even take a mid week break and drive around in the Caldera as I hear it is a fantastic place to be in the fall. May even see some elk in there. We are excited and ready to go!

Hey man, nobody busts you greenies for being "Colorado sober," so don't bust on midwesterners for having a little bit of hillbilly left in them.

hey no bustin. just getting a feel for the various curiosities that may still have a grip on some deep in the midwestern woods somewhere.

does "colorado sober" have something to do with old school chipotle?

southpark-chipotle.gif

hold up.

"wife helping as well as my cousin/girlfriend" .... ?
I got hung up on that too. I wasn't sure if this was just one person or two? My cousin who is also my girlfriend who is going to be hanging out with me and the wife. If this had been a Utah thread it might have been a go.

Good luck. That is some pretty country and you should see plenty of elk.

Are the "good luck" wishes for the elk hunt or "good luck" on the wife, cousin/girlfriend relationship? I do like that HT has become so inclusive.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back