Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Back to New Mexico - Archery elk this time

There is no doubt that New Mexico is very quickly rising to the top of our favorite state to go to. Seems like at least once a year we are headed to this great state and this year it will even be twice. This time around we are headed to a new area of the state - the Jemez Mountains. The season already opened on Sunday so I'm a little behind but we leave today and should be setting up and ready to do some road scouting by tomorrow evening.

I flung a couple hundred arrows over this last weekend while at bear camp and I'm feeling good and comfortable with it after a summer of being a bad sportsman and not practicing nearly as much as I should. On two previous elk hunts with the bow I got excited and shot the first cow on the second morning on an either sex tag that ran past at 5 yards instead of waiting for the big bull to keep coming. On the second trip I passed up on some smaller bulls/cows without any regrets of eating that tag in the end. This trip we will have a full 10 days to hunt which will include my wife helping as well as my cousin/girlfriend for this first weekend. I'm going to be patient and really soak in the experience and the expected beauty I'm envisioning of those mountains. Might even take a mid week break and drive around in the Caldera as I hear it is a fantastic place to be in the fall. May even see some elk in there. We are excited and ready to go!
Good luck! My husband is in 6c for archery still and I hear they are just starting to get going. We have some amazing spaces out here. Definitely check out the caldera if you have time.

Not the bull of my dreams but couldnt be happier with how it ended. 5 yards, came in to my calling, DIY, first bull with the bow, hell yeah. Waiting on the wife and cousin to make it up here to cherish the moment. In the meantime, you folks get to cherish with me.

They "as they lay photo"

@Dave N im dead serious about paying right on that bet, let me know the dates you are around and i have no problem driving over to pick you up. I owe you an elk steak and I want to do it! Will be nice and fresh :)
I actually forgot all about it! I'll PM you the info and let this thread continue. Congrats on the bull!

Best part. 343 yards per onx on a line to where the sxs just got parked. Downhill loads. No, that did not factor into my decision to fling an arrow this morning but it's as good as any!
Come on you can get the sxs to him lol

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back