Caribou Gear Tarp

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

If you are talking about the chance of Congress not getting it's act together and starting that kind of default, I might agree with you--except in an election year even they aren't that stupid--well maybe they are, but one thing you can count on, they want their side to win elections. One side won't go for it and if the other side tries it's handing the election to their opponent.

The Wharton School at Penn and numerous other prestigious economic/business experts all have implications leading to default on debt being extremely low and the debt would have to grow multiple times from where it is now before we get there.

We could move there a lot faster if some of the tax cuts aren't allowed to sunset and even faster if more tax cuts are planned by whoever takes over--if they aren't balanced by increased revenue--and I am not talking the long debunked "trickle down" revenue boost from tax cuts--to balance cuts out.
It sounds like you want tax cuts to expire? How do you see higher taxes playing out?

I see people making dire warnings endlessly. Even with the cheating and insider action that goes on playing wall street is easy.

Buy good investments--or better yet good long term growth mutual funds or index funds--and hold them. As you get closer to needing the money you might want to steer your mix towards a higher component of bonds.

The turtle wins that race every time over the person who frequently has money in cash on the relatively few good market days--or chases yesterdays top performer.

I don't see strong growth market soon but people have short memories--if bonds come back--they haven't done much in a long time--you can do well with a mixed portfolio. At retirement we are close to set if our portfolio returns just 4 percent and I expect we can do a bit better than that.

The biggest position by far in our retirement funds now are what they call balanced funds--usually try to maintain a 60/40 split of equities to bonds--in low fee funds from Fidelity, T Rowe and Vanguard. I don't need sky high returns at this point in life and know chasing them is a fools errand.

Good example of what I am talking about. I haven't much in small cap funds in years, they haven't compared well with other styles or index funds. That is projected to change and we moved some into them to the tune of maybe 10 percent of our mix. Lost money in them but slowly been creeping back, if market close today is where it's at now they will all be in the black poised for even more growth as the rate cut impacts get rolling soon.

Someone chasing immediate performance would have dumped them shortly after buying into them.

Not sure what to think about the rate cut or cuts. Many want a bigger one right away, but others claim that might actually have a reverse impact on the market--a 1/4 now followed by a quarter later this year or more would be a smoother path I think, curious to see what the fed does.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksoncsalmon
Back