Advertisement

Any chance of velvet elk in MT? If not which state would have best chance.

jpcoll01

Like the title says, wondering if bulls have scraped off velvet by Sept 7th archery opener in MT most years? Where could one have a decent chance at a velvet bull? I know they are a hassle, but I just love the look of horns in velvet.

How big does a velvet bull need to be? A September spike is the main way most hunters could have an opportunity at a velvet bull. A lot of Montana units/tags make them off limits but there are plenty of opportunities in various states to chase spikes in early September.

There are some August bull hunts in Nevada but most of the opportunities are resident depredation hunts. There are a few NR archery hunts that start on Aug 16th and one might luck into a smaller bull with some velvet on the 25th when more archery hunts start.

Arizona has some nonpermit tag opportunities that have long seasons but my guess is most of the realistic velvet opportunities are outfitted on private land.

There are a few opportunities in Idaho for August branch antlered bulls, I know someone who shot a nice one a couple years ago but he had access to private ag land.

I’ve seen Colorado outfitters advertise velvet hunts and I think they are private land ag field hunts.

But there are always freaks! Here is a CO 3rd season buck I passed. A local kid shot it the next day (photo was taken on Nov 12th)IMG_7649.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back