And…we are off!

We are on a weather delay for the wind. It’s not likely but we might get one group out yet tonight, but hopefully first thing in the morning we will all get out.

We visited some WWII sites.
View attachment 345828

View attachment 345830
And we saw some free range Kodiak horses.
View attachment 345831
This made me chuckle. Pretty sure I did the exact same tour when we were stuck in Kodiak for 2 days trying to get out to our hunt. According to the signs, there was a big brownie somewhere on the tour as well 🤣

The kids get on the bus at 7:15 central time so I try to FaceTime them at 4:15 AK time when we are in town before they get on the bus.

My brother is an Ak resident. My dad drew the only Nr brown bear tag for the area we are in. We each have deer a deer tag and shotguns for ducks and ptarmigan. Crab pots and fishing poles are somewhere in that mess as well.

It’s going to take 2 flights on a beaver with 1200lbs of payload to get all of our crap out there. Yesterday was a sunny beautiful day but the area we are going to is open to the northwest. The wind was blowing at 30 knots straight down the length of our bay so it was a nice day except the wind direction was bad for us. A lot of other hunters got into the field. Bear season opens tomorrow so we are hopeful we will get out today. The forecast today is drizzle, light winds out of the east and 2 miles of visibility. We are supposed to meet at the float dock at 8:30, sunrise is at 9:10 this morning.

View attachment 345919
Did you really have to bring your own outboard? wth....lol

Oh man, this looks like it's gonna be fun. I've been up twice this year and still wish I could go again :)! Good luck, sounds like a blast.

Did you really have to bring your own outboard? wth....lol
The bay we will be on is 15 miles long and 2/3 of a mile wide at the head and over a mile wide at the mouth. Plus the bear tag is good for parts of 2 other bays. Packrafts are cool, but zodiacs are cooler.

Watching other people load their gear, everyone who was going DIY to the salt had a raft and motor. We debated if we should take 2.

The kids get on the bus at 7:15 central time so I try to FaceTime them at 4:15 AK time when we are in town before they get on the bus.

My brother is an Ak resident. My dad drew the only Nr brown bear tag for the area we are in. We each have deer a deer tag and shotguns for ducks and ptarmigan. Crab pots and fishing poles are somewhere in that mess as well.

It’s going to take 2 flights on a beaver with 1200lbs of payload to get all of our crap out there. Yesterday was a sunny beautiful day but the area we are going to is open to the northwest. The wind was blowing at 30 knots straight down the length of our bay so it was a nice day except the wind direction was bad for us. A lot of other hunters got into the field. Bear season opens tomorrow so we are hopeful we will get out today. The forecast today is drizzle, light winds out of the east and 2 miles of visibility. We are supposed to meet at the float dock at 8:30, sunrise is at 9:10 this morning.

View attachment 345919
Holy shite. I hate packing for a simple elk or muley hunt.. Cant imagine planning for all of that!

This made me chuckle. Pretty sure I did the exact same tour when we were stuck in Kodiak for 2 days trying to get out to our hunt. According to the signs, there was a big brownie somewhere on the tour as well 🤣
The sign on the motel door makes me wonder if we should even leave the comforts of the hotel.
1729784245232.jpeg

The bay we will be on is 15 miles long and 2/3 of a mile wide at the head and over a mile wide at the mouth. Plus the bear tag is good for parts of 2 other bays. Packrafts are cool, but zodiacs are cooler.

Watching other people load their gear, everyone who was going DIY to the salt had a raft and motor. We debated if we should take 2.
I get that, I just thought you would be able to rent something and not bring your own. Seemed odd to me I guess...lol

Back