Alaska Caribou

Good luck! Packing a caribou 2 miles back to camp across tundra was the most exhausting thing I've ever done. We did a float plane trip on north slope, awesome experience, but one-and-done for me, no more tundra in my future. I'd rather bust my ass hiking up mountains for elk.
it will definitely humble you. Much much harder than I anticipated.

I put 2 packs into a mylar bag add boiling water and ziplock it closed and wait for 10-15 minutes. Maybe I could cook it in its orginal pack(?) but I'd have to put water in 2 packs and there isn't a ziplock on top to hold in the heat while it cooks.
That's a good idea for cooking. I don't generally hunt to far from home but number of years ago I went bird hunting a long way off. For food I packed everything in zip lock bags all cooked at home. Took along a metal 5 gal bucket and to heat the food, boiled it in the bags in water in the bucket. On deployment while in the service we ate C rats. To cook them we used a 55gal drum of boiling water. That where my idea came from. Shoot I even made scrambled eggs and a few egg omelet's to take on tat trip'

This is the toughest hunt I’ve ever done. Alaska threw everything at me. Some of it was just Alaska being Alaska. Some of it was “bad luck” but it was not enjoyable. I have no desire to ever do this hunt again. I’ll write up everything when I have a chance.

Here’s a teaser pic.
IMG_1818.jpeg

This is the toughest hunt I’ve ever done. Alaska threw everything at me. Some of it was just Alaska being Alaska. Some of it was “bad luck” but it was not enjoyable. I have no desire to ever do this hunt again. I’ll write up everything when I have a chance.

Here’s a teaser pic.
View attachment 337005

Glad you got it done. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Here’s a teaser pic.
View attachment 337005
Alaska being Alaska……..sometimes it just feels like the really wild places like to send you a welcome

She’s an evil mistress, Alaska can/will test you. Looking forward to the write up.

I’ll be back to Alaska but I won’t be doing the haul road rifle hunt.
I said the exact same thing last fall on the boat ride out and back into Kodiak. A few months later in Dec, I found myself putting in the same stupid tag yet again. Maybe I just don't learn but I'm pretty sure it was her evil that made me do it.

I leave tomorrow morning about 1 AM to head to the airport CHS-ATL-SEA-FAI. My buddy and I are meeting up in ATL and heading north. Once we land in Fairbanks we’ll grab our truck and head to get some fuel for our stoves and a couple gas cans. Then it’s up to the haul rd. We have a couple weeks to try to get a couple caribou with the rifle.

I’ve been getting everything together. Final packing this evening. Should be a fun hunt. I’m going to do my best to kill a good bull. I’ll update as much as I can.

View attachment 336300View attachment 336301View attachment 336302View attachment 336303
That sounds like one heck of a get away

Here’s a teaser pic.
They don't call it the 5 mile death march for nothing. I'd never do it two miles about got us up there.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back