Yeti GOBOX Collection

Alaska Caribou

I put 2 packs into a mylar bag add boiling water and ziplock it closed and wait for 10-15 minutes. Maybe I could cook it in its orginal pack(?) but I'd have to put water in 2 packs and there isn't a ziplock on top to hold in the heat while it cooks.
I thought those were the original foil packages those come in under the outer paper printed covering. Didn't realize they were mylar. Never did try cooking that way and may have to give it a try as it sounds like cleanup would be a lot easier. We just dump the noodles/rice right into the jetboil and cook for 5 minutes on low and then put the cover on and let them sit for 15 minutes.

I thought those were the original foil packages those come in under the outer paper printed covering. Didn't realize they were mylar. Never did try cooking that way and may have to give it a try as it sounds like cleanup would be a lot easier. We just dump the noodles/rice right into the jetboil and cook for 5 minutes on low and then put the cover on and let them sit for 15 minutes.
I used to do that as well, but my jetboil pot was always messy. I quit using a jetboil as well bc there are better options imo. Now I carry a soto wind master. It weighs 3oz and is the size of a pill bottle. It boils water super fast. I have a grayl Ti water filter and the titanium container doubles for boiling water. The mylar bags make clean up easy and they're cheap on amazon ($15 for 50). 13 days worth of food for this trip was a little under $70

I’m old with bad knees so I didn’t hike very far on that tundra. I was dropped off by airboat on the Ivishak River.

If I were to hike the 5 miles I would do it in the foothills of the Brooks Range and avoid the tundra altogether. I was pursuing a small bull at the bottom of Atigun Pass north side.

Or I would archery hunt near the road with a pack raft.

IMG_1559.jpeg

I made the mistake of NOT putting my ammo in my gun case and I arrived on St. Paul Island Alaska with a gun and no ammo.
My bag with ammo arrived the next day but still I missed out on an evening hunt.

So now I always keep my ammo and gun together. Flying in the US that is.
Assuming you flew, you can't hunt the same day you fly in AK anyway. So it's probably better you didn't get it.

Assuming you flew, you can't hunt the same day you fly in AK anyway. So it's probably better you didn't get it.
Pretty sure that only applies to big game.
Also, He was probably on a scheduled commercial flight to St Paul island. I don’t think that the airborne rule applies in that situation.

Good luck. I've had some success on both sides of the road in different spots. It is so cool!
I'll be out of the Healy ares this year in a couple weeks and hope to do better than last time :)

Good luck! Packing a caribou 2 miles back to camp across tundra was the most exhausting thing I've ever done. We did a float plane trip on north slope, awesome experience, but one-and-done for me, no more tundra in my future. I'd rather bust my ass hiking up mountains for elk.

Following. This should be a good one. Best of luck.

Hope you fill some tags and have time to hit up Hoo Doo as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back