Caribou Gear Tarp

Alaska Caribou

SCliving Outdoors

I leave tomorrow morning about 1 AM to head to the airport CHS-ATL-SEA-FAI. My buddy and I are meeting up in ATL and heading north. Once we land in Fairbanks we’ll grab our truck and head to get some fuel for our stoves and a couple gas cans. Then it’s up to the haul rd. We have a couple weeks to try to get a couple caribou with the rifle.

I’ve been getting everything together. Final packing this evening. Should be a fun hunt. I’m going to do my best to kill a good bull. I’ll update as much as I can.

IMG_1569.jpegIMG_1570.jpegIMG_1572.jpegE5A0BD92-3D81-4F1B-ACC2-8766F3536BDA.jpeg

Why do you take off the outer packaging of those pasta/rice sides? We buy the same ones and have a very similar food plan as you do but we have never removed those and curious why.
I put 2 packs into a mylar bag add boiling water and ziplock it closed and wait for 10-15 minutes. Maybe I could cook it in its orginal pack(?) but I'd have to put water in 2 packs and there isn't a ziplock on top to hold in the heat while it cooks.

I love that rifle case layout. I need to use that picture for reference. I always feel like I could get a lot more in my rifle case.
Ammo looks like all rifle ammo. Where is the revolver ammo?

Also love that even with dials you have your dope on the stock.
Revolver ammo is under the trigger guard of the rifle. It looks like a rifle ammo box.

I also didn't think you could have ammo in your rifle case, but if you do it all the time sounds like you are good. I'm curious why the 2nd case just for some bino's and a tripod, seems like easy add to a carryon and save the $85 for another checked bag? Oh I see now, those are two different pics. Man that isn't leaving a lot of padding in some areas (is the spotter laying on the tripod?) but, super duper efficient packing on that gun case!!

good luck. a big bull bou would look great between those 2 nice elk. have you ever done the haul road hunt? sounds like quite an adventure getting 5 mi off the road and twice the adventure getting back w/ a full pack or two.. looks like you're planning to camp once you get past the 5 mi mark? sounds like a great hunt in some beautiful country

good luck. a big bull bou would look great between those 2 nice elk. have you ever done the haul road hunt? sounds like quite an adventure getting 5 mi off the road and twice the adventure getting back w/ a full pack or two.. looks like you're planning to camp once you get past the 5 mi mark? sounds like a great hunt in some beautiful country
I haven't done it before. We are going to hike in and camp. Should be a good time.

I also didn't think you could have ammo in your rifle case, but if you do it all the time sounds like you are good. I'm curious why the 2nd case just for some bino's and a tripod, seems like easy add to a carryon and save the $85 for another checked bag? Oh I see now, those are two different pics. Man that isn't leaving a lot of padding in some areas (is the spotter laying on the tripod?) but, super duper efficient packing on that gun case!!
It is snug in there, but it works well. Your allowed 50lbs with a checked bag and I think a lot of guys waste that extra weight. That case weighs 46lbs. It also has an airtag hidden in it so I can keep track of where it is.

Thought you couldn't fly with ammo in the same case as the rifle/handgun??

Maybe something has changed, or I remember wrong
I made the mistake of NOT putting my ammo in my gun case and I arrived on St. Paul Island Alaska with a gun and no ammo.
My bag with ammo arrived the next day but still I missed out on an evening hunt.

So now I always keep my ammo and gun together. Flying in the US that is.

Good luck. Will be interesting to get your take on the 5 miles off the road experience. I would think there are a few places that it would be reasonable but from my understanding there aren't a lot of repeat customers on that hunt.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back