Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

139gr CX loads for 7mm-08?

No reason for needing a magnum for reasonable hunting distances with those numbers.
šŸ’Æ

I personally have 3 elk, 2 deer, and a bear with soup'd innards to defy the idea that 3k fps is in any way necessary for monos. And I imagine we could collect a lot more examples if we started a thread about this.

Hey, I like how it works in theory also; in practice, it didnā€™t work out quite like that for meā€¦ shot placement was absolutely perfect. Bullet failed to do as it was advertised ā€¦

2000 ft./s and 1300 foot pounds of energy is bottom of the barrel. And youā€™re talking about a max load out of that cartridge. Why Max out a cartridge and still be in the bottom half of that bullets optimal impact velocity rangeā€¦ The only reason I can think of is to avoid the leadā€¦. If you took that away, it probably wouldnā€™t even be on the table.
Like I said it works just fine to a point but 140 monos are built for the seven magā€¦
Drop down 20 to 30 grains of bullet weight from whatever youā€™d be shooting in a typical lead core bullet and thatā€™s where you should be shooting your mono. So when you drop down to 120 (7mm- 08) your terrible BC counteracts the increase in velocity. ( itā€™s like the coffin corner ) Therefore I believe that cartridge is not really, the OPTIMAL choice for monolithic bullets ā€¦
You can use them.. šŸ˜‰ just saying why I donā€™tā€¦
My Wifeā€™s 7mm-08 has shot half a dozen elk and the only time we ever had a problem was when I loaded her 140 TTSXā€™sā€¦. After that, I started paying a lot of attention to finding bullets that functioned best within the velocities that each cartridge produces ā€¦ from 0 to 400ā€¦ that way, I can leave myself the largest possible margin for errorā€¦

does the manufacturer say itā€™ll open at 2000 ft./s? Yesā€¦ Iā€™m not so sureā€¦

My Wife shoots a 708 and I shoot a seven mag but I would never shoot the same bullet through both of them again ā€¦

I shoot a 140 grain Nosler ET four grains under the maximum charge at 3200 ft./s. At 400 yards youā€™re looking at 2475 ft./s and 1900 foot pounds of energy. Safeā€¦.

Compared to the seven MM 08, for which I have the exact same numbers as you forā€¦ 2000ā€™ elevation
2850 ft./s Max chargeā€¦
At 400 yards youā€™re barely over 2000 ft./s and 1300 foot poundsā€¦ not within my comfort zoneā€¦

I like running e-tips myself because I feed my family, but Iā€™m still not convinced that Iā€™m not sacrificing performance by using themā€¦

Just my 2 centsā€¦

šŸ’Æ

I personally have 3 elk, 2 deer, and a bear with soup'd innards to defy the idea that 3k fps is in any way necessary for monos. And I imagine we could collect a lot more examples if we started a thread about this.
Oh Iā€™m sure you couldā€¦.
Youā€™re talking about necessary and Iā€™m talking about optimalā€¦. Thereā€™s no way that running those bullets at 3000 ft./s or above doesnā€™t do a better job at keep you in the middle of your acceptable impact velocity rangeā€¦
Anybody can shoot whatever they want and theyā€™re probably gonna kill animals, but there is an optimal velocity to get the most bang and lethal range out of your bulletā€¦
For monos that number is significantly higher as is the entire window of expansionā€¦

I think weā€™re gonna need a panel comprised of half physics professors and half rednecks that have shot a lot of stuff to settle thisā€¦ šŸ¤£
Iā€™ve been to marriage counseling so I used words like ā€œin my opinionā€ and ā€œI believeā€ so that you guys wouldnā€™t be so offended šŸ˜‰

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zebbage
Back