Caribou Gear

Wyoming 128 late deer

As both NR and residents alike realize, the system is not perfect.

Some years ago I assume the state appeased residents with some general tags. At the time general areas, along with all the areas just didn't have the pressure they do now.

The big pill to swallow is that if a resident wants to hunt a low pressure large buck or bull LQ area, if we don't draw what we put in for we are back to "square one". No points, no preference no matter how many years we apply.

I am not sure what a solution would be as we all know that the point systems are a temp fix and after a few years they get loaded and point creep sets in.

As both NR and residents alike realize, the system is not perfect.

Some years ago I assume the state appeased residents with some general tags. At the time general areas, along with all the areas just didn't have the pressure they do now.

The big pill to swallow is that if a resident wants to hunt a low pressure large buck or bull LQ area, if we don't draw what we put in for we are back to "square one". No points, no preference no matter how many years we apply.

I am not sure what a solution would be as we all know that the point systems are a temp fix and after a few years they get loaded and point creep sets in.
You could move to MT and hunt 6 months a year. And build up to around 20 points for the really good LE areas that are half as good as your general units.

Your “square one” is the opportunity to hunt world renowned big buck habitat every single year. I’m aware that tough winters and other factors have made it more difficult, but just the opportunity to hunt that genetic in a place that beautiful is wildly more than most of us get anywhere else.

Yeah yeah, I know, move to Wyoming if I want the same

We drew that tag in ‘22. Party app. You will see tons of deer. You’ll see lots of elk hunters road hunting. If you are time restricted, plan on the later part of the season. Seems the biggest bucks are the last to come down. (If needed, Get your name on the hma permission slip list. These always sneak up on me.) Get some good binos. I usually hunt whitetails as I don’t like to eat mule deer, but my son‘s buck was remarkably tasty and not musky at all. Because of that bias, I didn’t shoot one as I didn’t see anything bigger than what I already have on the wall. I posted on my hunt, if you want to search for it. Good luck, will be watching for updates!

Last edited:
We drew that tag in ‘22. Party app. You will see tons of deer. You’ll see lots of elk hunters road hunting. If you are time restricted, plan on the later part of the season. Seems the biggest bucks are the last to come down. (If needed, Get your name on the hma permission slip list. These always sneak up on me.) Get some good binos. I usually hunt whitetails as I don’t like to eat mule deer, but my son‘s buck was remarkably tasty and not musky at all. Because of that bias, I didn’t shoot one as I didn’t see anything bigger than what I already have on the wall. I posted on my hunt, if you want to search for it. Good luck, will be watching for updates!
What HMA?

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdtex7
Back