Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY Unit 39 Type 1 Tag

pablodiablo

Hi Hunt Talkers, I hope you are having a great summer and getting excited for fall. I traded in some WY points to get a Unit 39 Type 1 Tag this year. About me: I run a machine shop in WI and am a dad to 3 and 6 year old boys, so my life is hectic and hunting time is currently limited. I am 0 for 5 on my first solo elk hunts...call me Don Quixote or Casey at the Bat I guess. BUT...looking forward to heading west to hunt this year.

While I would love to ask for your great elk spots (lol) I am more interested to know if anyone can give me any travel/safety advice for this unit. I will be alone and travelling in a pickup. Any areas or roads that you can suggest or that I should avoid? I've seen a lot of talk on weather...is there typically enough notice to get down the mountain safely if something nasty comes? I will be sleeping at the bottom of the mountain near Lovell and driving up/down each day.

Thanks for any advice or anyone who can help nudge me in the right direction. You all rock!

Hi Hunt Talkers, I hope you are having a great summer and getting excited for fall. I traded in some WY points to get a Unit 39 Type 1 Tag this year. About me: I run a machine shop in WI and am a dad to 3 and 6 year old boys, so my life is hectic and hunting time is currently limited. I am 0 for 5 on my first solo elk hunts...call me Don Quixote or Casey at the Bat I guess. BUT...looking forward to heading west to hunt this year.

While I would love to ask for your great elk spots (lol) I am more interested to know if anyone can give me any travel/safety advice for this unit. I will be alone and travelling in a pickup. Any areas or roads that you can suggest or that I should avoid? I've seen a lot of talk on weather...is there typically enough notice to get down the mountain safely if something nasty comes? I will be sleeping at the bottom of the mountain near Lovell and driving up/down each day.

Thanks for any advice or anyone who can help nudge me in the right direction. You all rock!
Other HT's will be able to give you some details regarding specifics. I can just say this, I have hunted a lot on the eastern side of the Big Horns and can only offer the following:
1. There are roads everywhere that are ATV legal and you'll have ATVs everywhere.
2. Don't plan a long stock on a bull ( one or two miles) because the chance of having an ATV or two cut you off in between your target are pretty high.
3. The wx can change on you like an alley cat. Once most of the roads are wet from rain or melted snow the mud is like mixing super glue with baby shit...chains won't help. Then you'll wish you had an ATV.
4. There are tons of elk all over both sides of the mountains, so plan on putting some tough miles with your boots away from the single tracks.
5. Plan on a very tough hunt both mentally and physically.
6. Take a reliable buddy with you.
Good luck!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back