MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

I go to an opening deer season dinner at one of the ranches up here every year. It's the same place I posted the pictures of it being destroyed by pigs. I made them a new sign for the cabin that was rebuilt. The cabin dated back to 1939 when the family first bought the property. The wood is from an oak tree that was killed in our fire from 2020IMG_20240806_081912613_HDR.jpg

I finally got around to making a mount board for the Black Hawaiian Ram Euro mount from my hunt on the Big Island in June.

IMG_5251 2.jpeg

I bought a piece of Ohia wood in Kona. It is a flowering tree native to Hawaii and they were growing all around the area I hunted.

IMG_5336 2.jpeg

It was already a board, so I just had to do some shaping and sanding. I wood burned the Hawaiian island chain at the bottom, but it doesn't show up real well through the shine from the finish.

IMG_5353.jpeg

You can see the islands better in this picture. I added a pin with he Ohia flower that I bought at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Also I added the turkey feather that my guide found near where I shot my ram.

I still need to make a mounting board for the buck I shot in November. I might start work on that this weekend.

Ya it was a fun project. We just finished the log railing on the stairs. Picture to come next week.

I came across an old 72" x 36" maple butcher block top. It was delaminated pretty badly but luckily all the joints were smooth and clean and able to be glued back together. I was going to post up a couple glory pictures after it was treated today but the cord to my belt sander slipped and was eaten by the sander. I'll finish up the sanding after I get the cord cut out of the drive drum .

I like to make my Euro mount plaques out of wood that is somehow related to my hunt. Last November when I shot my buck, I was sitting in a Box Elder tree with a big downed trunk in front of me, but it was too big for me to take a piece off of it with the saw I keep in my backpack...

But somehow my dad just happened to have an over-mature Box Elder that he wanted to cut down before it fell on his house. He sent me a picture of one of the logs and I made a mark where I wanted him to cut a slice out of it.

IMG_0169.jpeg

Box Elder is sometimes called Flame Maple because it has a bright red that will run through the grain. The slice he sent had a few nice features of the red grain.

72643217779__2002E1F4-4217-4B5B-9969-422A010AF623.jpeg

I had him put some paint on each face to slow down the drying process to avoid checks and cracks. and after several months in my shop I decided it was time to flatten it out.

IMG_5369.jpeg
Unfortunately there were a couple cracks, so I put some bowties on the back to stabilize the piece.

IMG_5375.jpeg
After all the sanding and wood burning a bow and arrow on it, the grain looked really nice with a clear coat of poly on it.

IMG_5386 2.jpeg
I put it up in my wood shop over the door. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

IMG_5387.jpeg
It makes a nice little trio of mounts over the door in my shop. On the left is the first buck I ever shot, then the ram from this summer and now the most recent buck.

IMG_5388.jpeg

Wow! I’m a potter. So I can’t contribute to the thread but woodworking is fascinating to me. I always wanted to try my hand at turning. (Sort of opposite of potting but similar concept)

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barrels4miles
Back