What's on the smoker today?

I’d like to bring ribs on an upcoming fishing trip, but I don’t want to waste the time cooking them. I’m thinking of doing 3 hours on the smoke and 2 hours wrapped with liquid at home before we leave, then freezing them and just doing the final hour at the cabin. Anyone ever done something like this?

I’d like to bring ribs on an upcoming fishing trip, but I don’t want to waste the time cooking them. I’m thinking of doing 3 hours on the smoke and 2 hours wrapped with liquid at home before we leave, then freezing them and just doing the final hour at the cabin. Anyone ever done something like this?
Done it several times now they come out just fine.

get together today with college friends. always pulled pork for the masses.

@WildWill are you pro scoring? decided to score it for the first time today. i'm convinced it's stupid and the benefits are negligible and if anything only serves to decrease smoke time. but it's pulled pork.... hard to mess up pulled pork.

IMG_6388.GIF

also, homemade vanilla ice cream to complement my buddy's wife's peach cobbler.

IMG_6397.GIF

@WildWill are you pro scoring? decided to score it for the first time today. i'm convinced it's stupid and the benefits are negligible and if anything only serves to decrease smoke time. but it's pulled pork.... hard to mess up pulled pork.

View attachment 330602

also, homemade vanilla ice cream to complement my buddy's wife's peach cobbler.

View attachment 330603
Togie ups the game with video. Curious about the scoring. mtmuley

View attachment 330602

also, homemade vanilla ice cream tcomplement my buddy's wife's peach cobbler.

View attachment 330603
Yeah I feel the same way. I think a lot of people do it for the looks. I do like it for ham and bologna things you're applying a glaze to while cooking.

I find that scoring can help expose more meat to the smoke thereby increasing smoke adherence and smoky flavor. Plus more smoke ring. Fat inhibits smoke ring.

she sure looks good. but i continue to be skeptical of the scoring.

I just see more fat and juice/moisture being lost due to it than is necessary/good.

yes, i had to yank a little cube of scored pork off and test it - according to reddit that's really the primary tangible reason one should score their pork shoulder, i.e. nibbles.

IMG_6410.jpg

she sure looks good. but i continue to be skeptical of the scoring.

I just see more fat and juice/moisture being lost due to it than is necessary/good.

alright, this pork butt turned out. it really turned out. probably a top 5 for one's i've done.

so i can say with confidence the scoring didn't do anything negative. but I remain unconvinced this one turned out so good because it was scored.

IMG_6412.jpgIMG_6413.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DtechStore
Back