What are you currently reading?

This is a well-written account of the events leading to and the effects of Gen. Pershing’s 1916-17 expedition into Mexico. I had only the sparsest knowledge of that conflict, and I was surprised to know that I have been to some of the places on this side of the border that Pancho Villa raided.

image.jpg

This is a well-written account of the events leading to and the effects of Gen. Pershing’s 1916-17 expedition into Mexico. I had only the sparsest knowledge of that conflict, and I was surprised to know that I have been to some of the places on this side of the border that Pancho Villa raided.

View attachment 337636
Sounds interesting, will check it out!

I'm finishing up reading a sand county almanac but I'm looking forward to reading a hunters heart. It's mostly about the ethics of hunting and since I'm introducing hunting to a LA refuge I'm sure I'll have plenty of conversations about it lol.

I am about a third through this book and have been enjoying a little dark at first but I think it’s turning. So far really enjoy makes you think about life. image.jpg

Listening to the Leatherstocking Tales on audio. Good, but kind of hard to follow along. Almost through Pathfinder. If I was in to the handle changing business I'd be La Longue Carabine.

Just finished my 8th dance with Sometimes a Great Notion, by Ken Kesey.

Greatest novel I've ever read, by a large margin. Growing up in a logging down, in a logging family, I knew these people. My uncle told stories about Forks in the 70's, Ketchikan in the 60s, living in shack in Raymond with moss on the inside of the walls. Stories about fights and drugs, accidents and work so hard you thought you were in hell, Stories that would have put those from the Snag to shame. Even in the late 1990's it was rough out there in the winter. The summer, shit all the tourist are out there in the summer, but I first ventured out there in February of 1998 to steelhead fish. Ain't nothing but a bar open, watering eye Teddy behind the bar. Every Jack in there had his pants cutoff high, well above where their rain gear was, so the water wouldn't wick up. First time I heard the hollow but forceful "whunk" of fist to cheek. I had no idea people actually broke chairs over each other, how much goddamn force it took, and that no one tried to break it up.

Every time I read it I'm reminded that I've simply never read another story that more accurately paints a community, a landscape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back