NEW SITKA Ambient 75

What are you currently reading?

I’ve read so far recently;
The Attack by Kurt Schlichter

Winterset Hollow by Jonathan Edward Durham

Extinction by Douglas Preston

Currently reading The Last Monument by Michael C. Grumley

Recently finished up reading:

Meateater's American History: The Long Hunter - was really just okay at best, I had high expectations but found it fairly boring.

How to Clone a Mammoth by Beth Shapiro - interesting content and certainly learned more about cloning than I ever wanted but wouldn't recommend.

Fat Leonard by Craig Whitlock - I couldn't put this one down. Exhilarating true-life story of a Malaysian defense contractor, business man as he corrupts literally hundreds of high-ranking Naval officers, buying their loyalty with high-end dinners and prostitutes all throughout Asia.

IMG_7072.jpeg

Westward Into Kentucky has been a pretty great insight into early settlement during the rev war and explains a number of their techniques for living/surviving back then. It’s worth a look if you can handle the phonetic spelling and other old time vernacular. My favorite part language wise is apparently there were Americans pronouncing Illinois, “Illinoise”before it was even a state.

A friend sent me Meditations by Marcus Aurelius; had not read it since college, and enjoying it.
Read it almost daily. Lotta wisdom there! Also find it to be cool that they were his personal thoughts in his diary and were not meant to be shared.

Last edited:
Read it almost daily. Lotta wisdom there! Also find it to be cool that they were his personal thoughts in his diary and were not meant to be shared.
Logos (don't know how to write it here it Greek) is central to Meditations, which was written in Greek, and the New Testament, and well, Star Wars. While translated as the Word, it could easily be the Force.

Very odd, or, perfect.

Untamed: The Wildest Woman in America and the Fight for Cumberland Island by Will Harlan

Carol Ruckdeschel is the wildest woman in America. She wrestles alligators, eats roadkill, rides horses bareback, and lives in a ramshackle cabin that she built by hand in an island wilderness. A combination of Henry David Thoreau and Jane Goodall, Carol is a self-taught scientist who has become a tireless defender of sea turtles on Cumberland Island, a national park off the coast of Georgia.

I picked this up after reading a review of Heller’s new novel in the local paper. Heller borrows a lot of his style from Cormac McCarthy, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and this was a compelling read. Good outdoorsy descriptions and good characters.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Some books I read in July:

The Last Book by Jack O'Connor - Interesting reflections on his career in gunwriting. Pretty entertaining to read about his criticisms of certain hunting personalities, still see similar types today

Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by WDM Bell - Classic book on elephant hunting from the best

Jack O'Connor by Robert Anderson - Good book for fans of O'Connor's writings, interesting to learn more about the author and the context around his works

Memoirs of Richard Nixon - Quite a lengthy but important read, shows how complicated Watergate was but I was also interested in the non-Watergate issues from his presidency

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back