We Got Tags

What kind of thread/recap do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hit the road a little after 8:30 am. However, during my preflights I noticed problem number two of the trip. See if you can see it. IMG_2404.jpeg

Driver side rear tire is on backwards. Well, it had been that way for quite some time, so I decided a little longer wouldn’t hurt. Stopped for a break just over the Minnesota line.
IMG_2406.jpegIMG_2410.jpegIMG_2412.jpeg

Learned a bit about “changing” a tire and we got back on the road.

We’re somewhere in SD right now. We’ve got just under seven hours until we hit the unit. If all goes well we should be waiting for the sun to come up in a spot that looked like it should have some antelope around based on how it looked on my phone. Fingers crossed.

So we got back on the road after the tire change and made our porch pick up in Rochester.
IMG_2414.jpeg

We still had a long ways to go though. They slept a bunch and I drove.
IMG_2418.jpeg
IMG_2417.jpeg

We had a Culver’s stop for lunch in there before we left Wisconsin and then McDonald’s for dinner somewhere in Minnesota. Throw in several bathroom breaks and all the stops increased total travel time quite a bit.

Slowly but surely we were getting there.
IMG_2425.jpeg

And the weather was looking promising?
IMG_2424.jpeg
Mule deer started to show in the headlights. Then a whitetail. Then a group of big muley bucks. Then several bull elk. A herd of pronghorn crossed the road too.

Last edited:
We finally got to our unit around 4:30 am. We filled up on gas, switched drivers, and I got the phone set to go. IMG_2738.png
We still had a good hour to hit my planned starting spot, so down the road we went. We got to the area right as light was breaking and saw our first antelope. He was a young buck - a good sign.

We started to see antelope here and there and people, lots of people. I was shocked at the number of other folks using the area. A camper here and a camper there and trucks all over the place. It took us a bit to figure out, but I think a lot of the people we saw were after sage grouse.

We arrived at the waterhole I was interested in shortly after daylight and somebody was already there. I couldn’t believe it. A closer inspection revealed it was grouse hunters. A bit of a relief, but it didn’t really help to watch them ping pong antelope all over the valley.

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupari
Back