Raffle tags - yeah or nay?

General opinion on big game raffle tags

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aside from the music festival example, the rest of them seem pretty solid to me.

Do you have any idea what percent of those tags are sold by the nonprofit via auction vs raffle?

After a quick search, I discovered a 4H Commissioner tag that was sold via auction. That’s not what the poll is asking about- auction tags and raffles are not the same thing.

4H
Bulls56it...100% of the funds should go toward wildlife, habitat, etc.

If the cowboy joe club, music festivals, libraries, etc need funds, have a bake sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bull75it...100% of the funds should go toward wildlife, habitat, etc.

If the cowboy joe club, music festivals, libraries, etc need funds, have a bake sale.

Meh. None of my business anyway, I am a NR. But that’s how a trust is supposed to work- the resource is to be managed for the benefit of the beneficiaries. Remember, this includes non-hunters.

A compelling argument could certainly be made that is accomplished more via a tag raffled off by a non-profit than it would be if you, a resident and single beneficiary, were to draw it (and I believe in some instances, if a NR wins the tag it comes out of the NR pool anyway- could be wrong).

If you feel that strongly about it, work to change the law. And while you’re at it, you might want to have a conversation with the BHA to stop participating in these tag raffles.

*I personally wish all money gathered via tag raffles went 100% back to wildlife. That does not mean there aren’t other worthy and fair causes- that is for residents to figure out, that is their business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. None of my business anyway, I am a NR. But that’s how a trust is supposed to work- the resource is to be managed for the benefit of the beneficiaries. Remember, this includes non-hunters.
It's not a matter of hunters or non hunters. It's not a matter of hunting at all to be truly honest. It's about the resource itself. Amd not pimping it out. Treeshark you seem like a pretty good dude. But one it comes to this stuff I think you damaged this part of your brain somewhere along the line. That's about as polite as I know how to put it. Sorry for any disrespect.

It's not a matter of hunters or non hunters. It's not a matter of hunting at all to be truly honest. It's about the resource itself.

This is exactly what I have been saying for a while now- that is my point.

Strict-constructionism regarding the Public Trust Doctrine with respect to game management is a double-edged sword. Non-hunters (including, but not limited to anti-hunters) comprise a majority in every state- therefore, legally, I am concerned that this entitles them to a majority of the consideration from fish and game departments.

This is where much of the risk in our hunting heritage lies in my view.

Treeshark you seem like a pretty good dude. But one it comes to this stuff I think you damaged this part of your brain somewhere along the line. That's about as polite as I know how to put it. Sorry for any disrespect.

I believe that is referred to as a “s$&@ sandwich”- you put the bad part between two good parts😜😆

No offense taken- I appreciate discussing this stuff as I’m sure you can tell. I know that some of my views on this are not popular on HT and try to not be overly incendiary (fail at that sometimes, I know).

Also, thanks @Big Fin for not toasting me several times over🙂

What does that have to do with tag raffles?

Specific to recent posts- you and Buzz are upset because the money gained from these tags aren’t going back to wildlife. Completely understandable, as I wish it went back to wildlife as well.

I’m saying that legally and ethically (if you support PTD as a basis for our fish and game laws, which it seems like a lot of HT does) it does not matter- as long as it benefits the residents of Wyoming.

My main point with most of these discussions: there is a lot more room for nuance when it comes to NAM, PTD and state game management than many of us would like to admit- and they are often leveraged via selective application for self-serving reasons.

Last edited:

A compelling argument could certainly be made that is accomplished more via a tag raffled off by a non-profit than it would be if you, a resident and single beneficiary, were to draw it (and I believe in some instances, if a NR wins the tag it comes out of the NR pool anyway- could be wrong).

If you feel that strongly about it, work to change the law. And while you’re at it, you might want to have a conversation with the BHA to stop participating in these tag raffles.

*I personally wish all money gathered via tag raffles went 100% back to wildlife. That does not mean there aren’t other worthy and fair causes- that is for residents to figure out, that is their business.
No, the way the "trust" is supposed to work is license sales and the proceeds from same are to support WILDLIFE for the benefit of ALL citizens.

When commission tags go toward funding WOGA, 4H, Cowboy Joe club, firefighters, music festivals, libraries etc. etc. show me where ALL citizens benefit, and more precisely, how does it benefit wildlife at all?

Answer: it doesn't, and that's the exact problem with these set aside tags, they are NOT being used to fund wildlife (one of the points you seem to miss, by about a mile).

I make zero qualms about it, if these tags are being used in no way, shape or form to benefit wildlife, public lands, public access, or habitat, they shouldn't exist.

I've never seen anyone as dense as you on the issue of set aside tags, glad you're in WI and irrelevant.

Specific to recent posts- you and Buzz are upset because the money gained from these tags aren’t going back to wildlife. Completely understandable, as I wish it went back to wildlife as well.

I’m saying that legally and ethically (if you support PTD as a basis for our fish and game laws, which it seems like a lot of HT does) it does not matter- as long as it benefits the residents of Wyoming.
Respectfully disagree. Money from these tags should benefit the wildlife being taken. 4-H clubs can raise money another way. mtmuley

What's really even more interesting to me, the argument that these tags do so much "good" with the additional money.

Does anyone truly believe that?

Since the conception of these tags, mule deer, goats, sheep, moose, pronghorn all doing like shit. I guess the "good" they do is just hard to see. But what isn't hard to see is the drop in population, drop in tags, etc. from all the "good" these set asides do for the beneficiaries wildlife.

What they do best is pimp out the cream of what's left of the wildlife crop year after year.

The good news for me is that you rank dead last on people whose opinion of me I care about.

Yes I do. I agree that the proceeds from these tags ought to go back to supporting wildlife usually in the form of habitat improvement or other worth game and fish department initiatives. That being said, some of the organizations who benefit in Wyoming do help a lot of people. If you don’t like it, change it. That’s your job as a WY resident, and you are always right so it shouldn’t be difficult to convince everyone else of your truth.

Not sure why you would even ask me though as I am irrelevant
News flash, that isn't happening in Wyoming and yes we've applied pressure on the way things work.

Why NR's didn't have a random sheep tag this year in the draw is because of raffle tags. We put the legwork in to make sure that's the way it worked, you know, because those raffle tags do so much good.

What's really even more interesting to me, the argument that these tags do so much "good" with the additional money.

Are you really asking if 4H does more good with the money they receive than the BHA does? I think we all know the answer that that one.

Oh Buzz… you are a rascal today!🙂

Are you really asking if 4H does more good with the money they receive than the BHA does? I think we all know the answer that that one.

Oh Buzz… you are a rascal today!🙂
Are you really THAT dense?

I reckon playing dumb isn't just an act for some folks.

Why NR's didn't have a random sheep tag this year in the draw is because of raffle tags. We put the legwork in to make sure that's the way it worked, you know, because those raffle tags do so much good.
Solid attempt hahaha. The reason there was no NR random sheep tag is because you and the crew got your 90/10 OIL distribution passed a couple years ago! That was 100% your right, I never complained about it.

Solid attempt hahaha. The reason there was no NR random sheep tag is because you and the crew got your 90/10 OIL distribution passed a couple years ago! That was 100% your right, I never complained about it.
Shows how much you know.

The reason for it had to do with the way we worked the raffle tag bill in the legislature. Anytime a NR draws one of the raffle tags, they have to come out of the NR quota. If not for the NR winning the sheep raffle, there would have been a random sheep tag.

Since raffle and auction tags have raised so much money and done so much good, we've also went from 240 sheep tags a year down to 180.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back