Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wakesurfing article - Good to see some headway on this

So you have to draw a season pass to use the lake with said boat? Can we charge preference points and make it x20 the cost for NR and limit them to 90/10 of the split?

If so, HELL YEAH. TAKE THAT YOU FIBS

Choose your motor, choose your lake.

Given the public sentiment expressed in the story against wake boats, I would imagine some significant regulation to curtail the poor behavior is inline.

Choose your motor, choose your lake.

Given the public sentiment expressed in the story against wake boats, I would imagine some significant regulation to curtail the poor behavior is inline.
I would support motor horsepower restrictions (both max hp and complete non motorized areas) increased no wake zones, closed portions during certain times of the year. But there is no one to enforce the rules in place now, so additional rules wouldn’t change much.

I would support motor horsepower restrictions (both max hp and complete non motorized areas) increased no wake zones, closed portions during certain times of the year. But there is no one to enforce the rules in place now, so additional rules wouldn’t change much.
IDK man. Lake people never hesitate to call the fish cops on anyone having too much fun. I bet there'd be an aggressive citizen's watch on this one.

I can see both sides of the issue. I previously had a pontoon and now have a surf boat. The surf boats are def annoying when used inappropriately (which occurs often). I think sound and use regulations are in order. I for one don’t crank the tunes, don’t surf within 200ft of shoreline and work hard to keep in 20+ feet of water. I also routinely head to more recreational lakes where they are more common than fishing boats. That said, fisherman also routinely exhibit behavior that could ruffle a few feathers such as power loading at launches (over time, causes damage to boats and trailers) and fishing smack dab in the middle of transit ways. Therefore, since common sense and concern for others seems to be lacking these days, regulation is probably the only recourse to protect the lakes and those that use them. A similar concept would be how UTV/ATVs are regulated on public lands. There is a place for regulation for the benefit of the resource. BTW, If this type of logic and my ownership of a legal boat make me a dbag…….guilty as charged.

I can see both sides of the issue. I previously had a pontoon and now have a surf boat. The surf boats are def annoying when used inappropriately (which occurs often). I think sound and use regulations are in order. I for one don’t crank the tunes, don’t surf within 200ft of shoreline and work hard to keep in 20+ feet of water. I also routinely head to more recreational lakes where they are more common than fishing boats. That said, fisherman also routinely exhibit behavior that could ruffle a few feathers such as power loading at launches (over time, causes damage to boats and trailers) and fishing smack dab in the middle of transit ways. Therefore, since common sense and concern for others seems to be lacking these days, regulation is probably the only recourse to protect the lakes and those that use them. A similar concept would be how UTV/ATVs are regulated on public lands. There is a place for regulation for the benefit of the resource. BTW, If this type of logic and my ownership of a legal boat make me a dbag…….guilty as charged.

I also routinely head to more recreational lakes
As you saw if you watched or read the story is one proposal is to not allow wake surfing on lakes smaller than 1500 acres. The map produced in the story was great at still showing just how many of those lakes still exist in the state to use for this recreational activity. I do not have a scientific answer as to what the impact that would have on those larger lakes but I do know that they are generally more traditionally already wake/ski recreational lakes vs the smaller ones.

It would not be much more than an hour drive in WI to get on a lake to do this activity.

1718899337409.png

As you saw if you watched or read the story is one proposal is to not allow wake surfing on lakes smaller than 1500 acres. The map produced in the story was great at still showing just how many of those lakes still exist in the state to use for this recreational activity. I do not have a scientific answer as to what the impact that would have on those larger lakes but I do know that they are generally more traditionally already wake/ski recreational lakes vs the smaller ones.

It would not be much more than an hour drive in WI to get on a lake to do this activity.

View attachment 330326
That seems extreme to me….especially if you already live on one of the lakes under 1500 acres. I think lake depth, width and amount of boat traffic are more important. I know a lot of recreational lakes in MN that are under 1500acres that would be fine to surf without damaging the lakeshore or lake bottom. But it’s a fair discussion and a good place to begin the discussion. The only people whose opinion is meaningless to me are the boat builders. Unfortunately, $$$ talks and when they start throwing it around politicians will pay attention.

Tournament bass fisherman as a group are some of the biggest, entitled jack@sses that use our landings. Duck hunters are the dirtiest, pontoon boat operators are the most inexperienced. Prop wash at the end of boat landings is a big problem especially now when the river is high and like last summer when it was record low. When the water is high they are launching from the parking lot and when it’s low they back in to far off the end of the ramp.

That seems extreme to me….especially if you already live on one of the lakes under 1500 acres. I think lake depth, width and amount of boat traffic are more important. I know a lot of recreational lakes in MN that are under 1500acres that would be fine to surf without damaging the lakeshore or lake bottom. But it’s a fair discussion and a good place to begin the discussion. The only people whose opinion is meaningless to me are the boat builders. Unfortunately, $$$ talks and when they start throwing it around politicians will pay attention.

I think that 1500 acres would be a massive reduction in open waters for folks as well. That approach would be a match to light larger opposition, IMO.

I spend 5-6 days a week on the water... here's my observations.

No one likes wakesurfers other than wakesurfers.

They're creating 3-4ft waves that are not only incredibly annoying, but also dangerous to those in smaller watercraft, kayaks, or paddleboards. My first boat was a 12 ft duck boat that I rowed around at 10 years old. It wouldn't be safe to be out there these days with those boats.

They're destroying shallow weed flats. Lakes that usually have big cabbage weed flats in 6-10ft of water are getting absolutely abused by these huge waves that are consistently pulling weeds out of the bottom creating lots of floating weeds.

The waves are eating up shorelines. Especially on narrow lakes or rivers. With this, they're wrecking docks.

Half of these boats feel the need to play their music (usually shitty) at levels that are so high, you can hear it from 400 yards away on a calm day.

They suck, and I hope they get banned or limited to the point where most people get rid of them. Wakeboarding, tubing, skiing, and other things like that are just fine. They throw small wakes like any boat does. They're within reason.
Ain't you up Brainerd way? For some reason I feel like you're a Brainerd Bro. If you are, I feel for you. Beautiful lakes up there but the jabronis make it terrible.

Get a load of this idiot at the Army Corps access on Gull that’s already usually crowded as I’m sure you know.
image000001.jpeg

Ain't you up Brainerd way? For some reason I feel like you're a Brainerd Bro. If you are, I feel for you. Beautiful lakes up there but the jabronis make it terrible.

Get a load of this idiot at the Army Corps access on Gull that’s already usually crowded as I’m sure you know.
View attachment 330342
Yep... I fish there fairly often. That picture doesn't even surprise me! Some people are just as dumb as they come. I sit on my hands and keep my mouth closed when watching people launch or load there. I shouldn't even look, but I can't help it.

View attachment 330342
I routinely use this launch. You can’t fix stupid. BTW, pretty positive that’s a trailer for a fishing boat.

IDK man. Lake people never hesitate to call the fish cops on anyone having too much fun. I bet there'd be an aggressive citizen's watch on this one.
Drones w video and speed detection. LEOs @ the loading ramp and marina handing out citations. Often enforcement actually changes behavior. And yes, I'm a total drone hater.

Yep... I fish there fairly often. That picture doesn't even surprise me! Some people are just as dumb as they come. I sit on my hands and keep my mouth closed when watching people launch or load there. I shouldn't even look, but I can't help it.
Some of the best entertainment out there! Especially when they start scrappin' with each other!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back