PEAX Equipment

Venting Frustration....Not going to be able to hunt this year?

Madman

Just venting my frustration, so please forgive me. After a 3 year wait, I finally got my Colorado Bull tag in my favorite area. It's near my hunting cabin, which I love staying in and it makes it such a great memory to hunt out of there. A good friend of mine was excited to be able to join me for the hunt, and we planned on doing some serious packing into an area most won't go to, as it's difficult to access and there are easier places to get to with elk, although the likeliness of getting a larger bull is lower. I'm amped up and ready to hit the mountain, and just counting down the days.

At the beginning of August, I starting feeling a pain in my back, which rapidly grew from a sore, stiff back to severe pain shooting down my right leg, making it extremely painful to stand, and impossible to walk. A trip to the ER for some pain management and shortly there after an urgent MRI reveals a severely bulging disc in L2-L3 pushing into my sciatic nerve.......I was referred for an "Urgent" neurosurgeon consult to fix...the doctors I spoke to said I should be seen in 2-3 days as it was urgent...and my hopes that I could be seen, fixed, and recover in time to make my hunt were high. I even got the VA to respond quickly (which is not common), so I start my wait.....and wait...and wait. I checked to verify the neurosurgeon facility had my MRI and was aware it was "urgent"......but after two weeks, I discussed the problem with my doctor, who reached out to the neurosurgeon and explained the situation again. 3 days later I get a call to schedule an appointment....for September 4........and while I am ecstatic and grateful to finally be seen (I am still unable to walk or stand more than 5 minutes ever since this started) and will probably have to have surgery to correct this, I am guessing the scheduling will take a few weeks and recovery will take some time, I recognize I am most likely not going to be recovered physically by October and therefore not likely to be able to hunt this year. For me, that's almost as painful as the medical condition.

Fortunately, speaking with DOW, I should be able to surrender my tag, and with a signed medical statement, get my points back. I am thankful for the medical appointments and fine medical staff in my area, and the support of everyone, but I can't say it doesn't sting to miss out on what I love so deeply to do, be in the Rocky Mountains, chasing deer and elk, in the wonderful cool, crisp air and enjoying the serenity of the moment.

So I hope to enjoy, vicariously through here, all the successes and photos and stories of you members until I get my next chance next year!

Thanks for listening to me whine! Good luck Lads and Lasses!
Kevin

Man hate that for you. Good luck on the recovery. Get em next year!

Well there is always a bright side. At leased you were at home and not 20,00 feet up with a bull down and 1 mile to pack out. Prayer for a faster recovery.

Ouch. I’ve had a few back surgeries. My last incident I couldn’t walk for almost three months. Felt great after surgery. I’m still 95% 5 years later.

Well there is always a bright side. At leased you were at home and not 20,00 feet up with a bull down and 1 mile to pack out. Prayer for a faster recovery.
I'd feel better, or at least easier to accept, getting injured doing that than simply waking up then having my back go all to hell! ;)

It is real tough to take for sure.
It sucks the life out of you.
All the excitement of the draw is gone.
I had a similar experience,got the once in a lifetime draw for a Roosevelt Elk.
Heart problems and a quadruple bypass August 30th five years ago.
Still against all logic and unknown to my doctor I went hunting.
Made a special attachment so the recoil won’t blow my chest open.
October 30th ,sixty days after the operation shot and skinned the elk by myself.
That night the cut on my chest burn like hell!
Took a few pills ,a shot of whiskey and laid down.
Cold and wet.
A very long night.
My doctor found out and wanted to kill me.
Still feel stupid and proud for doing it.
That happens when you are old and stubborn.
A short version of my story.

2020 August severed patella tendon knee injury sidelined my entire hunting season ... and I had a bag full of tags, which I just wrote off as contributions to Montana FWP.
I lived the hunting season vicariouosly through hunting stories of my grandsons.
Consider it more planning time for next season.

Patellar tendon repair - reattachment.jpg

Last edited:
@Madman I would suggest that you call the office daily to let them know you are extremely motivated to get in and can fill any cancellation for your consultation. Also make certain that they have all images (X-ray, MRI and CATscan) there already, and additionally you should have those images burned to a disc or thumb drive should those records go “missing” Go in person to the office so that you can have all of the preliminary paperwork completed and the admin folks will have a face/name recognition.

PS: bringing in some Connie’s Cookies or other such treat when you show up to further earn good will.

@Madman Feel for ya. I had to dump a 12 point antelope tag and am almost missing my archery elk hunt but think I will be just barely cleared to go in time after some late summer coronary artery repairs. At the moment looks like will be in good shape for the elk hunt, but that could change.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back