Kenetrek Boots

Uncle Larry's Last Elk Hunt

Realizing Larry is younger than my father and realizing my dad's last elk he killed was at 80. Sure makes you think.

@Big Fin, your quote "you are gonna run outta health before you run out of money" sure hits home and I see you came up with that from personal observation and experience. I really appreciated the manner in which you communicated with Larry about the pace, and how he was feeling without being patronizing or condescending. That is a struggle oftentimes to express to our hunters and relatives that we want to manage the pace and that it is not a hardship or inconvenience. You did that well from what made the episode.

You also picked a unit and area with some beauuuuuuutiful topography where you could walk 6 miles in a day and be in a herd of 150 elk. I hope that unit and hunt never gets internet famous...

Thanks Fresh Tracks Entire Crew for All of the episodes. It's the Connection of the time spent that pulls US in whether it's Randy and Mathew ( Uncle Larry, Scott , Jerry, Beau, Marcus and Kara etc.) The Relationship between whoever is Real and not staged, which reminds US of our bond to someone in a similar relationship. Thank You All and your behind the scene Spouses.

Great video… @Big Fin… did I see you bust out “the griddy” touchdown dance as Larry was getting his picture taken at the end?!?!?

Making Justin Jefferson proud 😂😂

Many of you have followed my Uncle Larry over the last 15 years. In 2022 he drew an Arizona late season tag. Being he was a resident, I knew he had the points to draw. I just didn't know if he had the health to do it.

He did ten years of experimental chemo for Mantel Cell Lymphoma. The side effects were many; messed up his heart, terrible neorphathy in his feet, and gave him a terrible case of glaucoma. They took him off in 2019, worried that his heart would not be able to take any more.

Those of you who subscribe to FreshTracks+ already saw this hunt about four months ago.

On this hunt, I had strict orders to not take him anywhere too difficult. He needed trekking poles to walk pretty much anywhere. I promised if he shot something, me and Ty (camera guy for this hunt) would pack it out.

He told me that he would do his best, but that I had to promise this was the last elk hunt I'd drag him on. I promised. Seeing how the chemo side effects have hit him so hard, I know he is done elk hunting. He didn't have me apply for any elk hunts for him in 2023 or 2024.

He still holds out hope that he will burn his deer and pronghorn points in some states. I sure hope that can happen. Unfortunately, since this episode was filmed in December 2022, he has spent a lot of time at the MD Anderson Clinic in Houston, undergoing treatment for prostate cancer (a new problem) and his Mantel Cell is now back and they are trying to find another treatment that won't kill him.

In spite of all of these complications, Larry is still smiling, cracking jokes, and using his normal level of profanity. In this episode you will see how the glaucoma has impacted his vision. A first bull encounter at 200 yards seemed to be a gift from heaven, but he passed, not being 100% sure which elk was in his scope. Uggh.

Fortunately, he kept his head up and kept shuffling along with the aid of trekking poles. As much as I loved packing his elk out for him and sharing the time with him, it was hard to see what cancer and the treatments had done to one of the most vibrant people I've ever known.

I would be hard pressed to name a person who had more influence on me in my younger years, guiding me in far more productive ways than my own tendencies might have led me to. I am sure this was his last elk hunt. I can only hope we can find a time and place to share a camp for some other reason, in some other place, chasing some other critter.

I hope you all have an "Uncle Larry" in your life. If it's gonna be your last, make it a good one.

Thank you for sharing another heartfelt adventure. God Bless Uncle Larry.

Great video… @Big Fin… did I see you bust out “the griddy” touchdown dance as Larry was getting his picture taken at the end?!?!?

Making Justin Jefferson proud 😂😂
I told Larry if he shot a bull, I’d do “The Griddy.” He looked at me with a look of bewilderment and let out a string of profanity that in summary was a combined question and comment as to WTF is The Griddy. I wish the camera had been rolling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back