Uncle Larry's Last Elk Hunt

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Many of you have followed my Uncle Larry over the last 15 years. In 2022 he drew an Arizona late season tag. Being he was a resident, I knew he had the points to draw. I just didn't know if he had the health to do it.

He did ten years of experimental chemo for Mantel Cell Lymphoma. The side effects were many; messed up his heart, terrible neorphathy in his feet, and gave him a terrible case of glaucoma. They took him off in 2019, worried that his heart would not be able to take any more.

Those of you who subscribe to FreshTracks+ already saw this hunt about four months ago.

On this hunt, I had strict orders to not take him anywhere too difficult. He needed trekking poles to walk pretty much anywhere. I promised if he shot something, me and Ty (camera guy for this hunt) would pack it out.

He told me that he would do his best, but that I had to promise this was the last elk hunt I'd drag him on. I promised. Seeing how the chemo side effects have hit him so hard, I know he is done elk hunting. He didn't have me apply for any elk hunts for him in 2023 or 2024.

He still holds out hope that he will burn his deer and pronghorn points in some states. I sure hope that can happen. Unfortunately, since this episode was filmed in December 2022, he has spent a lot of time at the MD Anderson Clinic in Houston, undergoing treatment for prostate cancer (a new problem) and his Mantel Cell is now back and they are trying to find another treatment that won't kill him.

In spite of all of these complications, Larry is still smiling, cracking jokes, and using his normal level of profanity. In this episode you will see how the glaucoma has impacted his vision. A first bull encounter at 200 yards seemed to be a gift from heaven, but he passed, not being 100% sure which elk was in his scope. Uggh.

Fortunately, he kept his head up and kept shuffling along with the aid of trekking poles. As much as I loved packing his elk out for him and sharing the time with him, it was hard to see what cancer and the treatments had done to one of the most vibrant people I've ever known.

I would be hard pressed to name a person who had more influence on me in my younger years, guiding me in far more productive ways than my own tendencies might have led me to. I am sure this was his last elk hunt. I can only hope we can find a time and place to share a camp for some other reason, in some other place, chasing some other critter.

I hope you all have an "Uncle Larry" in your life. If it's gonna be your last, make it a good one.

Just watched it tonight. Just like all the other episodes with uncle Larry it was a great one.

I grew up dove hunting with my grandfather, that's all he ever got into hunting wise but it was his passion every September. He stuck it out several years after he got prostate cancer. Eventually he became too weak and sore to shoot anymore. The very last year we went out together it was pretty rough on him, but probably one of the most action packed years we had. He passed several years ago now and dove hunting will never be the same without him.

Glad to see you have had the chance to share so many great memories with a great guy Randy.

Randy,
How cool is it that Uncle Larry clobbers a good bull on his last elk hunt. He has been the best character on your show over the years, not to mention the 100% success rate on elk.Keep up the great content.

Another vote for Uncle Larry as a favorite guest, if that was his last elk hunt that’s a good one to end on! I still think we need an unedited version 😂

It’s also a good reminder to take advantage of your health while you have it. Nobody intends to get sick but statistically it comes for a lot of us. I’ve put off traveling to hunt to hit some financial goals early on, hopefully it pays off later but I won’t get the time back.

@Big Fin I would agree you that we should all thank God for giving us those impactful family members that have shaped our hunting memories throughout our lives. My Uncle Benny was that person. He shared the same amount of profanity as Uncle Larry, and always kept us boys laughing. He did however with all his "issues", he did teach us proper gun safety, and we experienced many an interesting experience while in the woods with Uncle Benny. Uncle Benny died at 69 years old in 2019 and is missed.

Well, you tell Larry to hang in there. Just cuz.
He gave me more good advice in one hour than most folks.
Stay positive he said. Avoid the chemo. If you can.
He also gave me a smile I wear to this day.

Thank you Randy. Thanks Larry. Thanks Ty.
I could see the grins walking across that parking lot Sat., again.

I know what I am watching tonight.

That’s a powerful episode @Big Fin. Unfortunately, my 4 “Uncle Larry’s” have all left this earth. Fortunately though, I had them in my life and grew up hunting with great mentors.

One of my earliest hunting memories is sitting in a tree stand in a snowsuit with my dad when I was 7. I was like a fart in a skillet and never quit moving. He would get so mad and tell me to be quiet. But yet he kept taking me with. It makes me chuckle now when mentoring friends and I find myself getting annoyed with them for being too loud.

It still bothers me that I never got to share western hunting with my dad as he passed away from Glioblastoma 13 years ago. We always talked about it but said “next year.” Then there was no next year. Never a day goes by that I don’t think about him when I’m hunting or simply out in nature. I’m forever grateful for the time I did have with him and the influence he had on my life.

Never take for granted the people in your life, put aside petty differences and continue to make memories.

Excellent episode. Thanks for sharing. There aren't enough "Uncle Larry" types in the world. We need more... "Uncle Larry" to influence our youth. Be that "Uncle Larry" for some one in your life today.

Uncle Larry top speed = decent open country still hunting!

It isn't hard to see that you all have a well deserved mutual admiration for each other. I'm glad that is streak remains intact (elk successes)

Nice, feel good episode of FreshTracks.

Excited to watch this one. He's got to be tough as nails to take on elk hunting with all the health issues going on. I wouldn't blame anyone for throwing in the towel, but great to see him still trucking along!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back