Top college towns for trout bums

Not fly fishing, but you probly got 500-1000 lakes within an hour of Bemidji. Walleye, pike, and smallies are better than trout anyways.

Shhh send them to Texas instead, there are no trout (or salmon) at NMU. And there are definitely no grouse either. Just a desolate wasteland. Winter 11 months of the year and mosquitos the other month
Believe it or not, there is trout fishing not real far from the UT campus and fairly close to Texas State. It's in the Guadalupe River below the Canyon Lake dam. Nothing even remotely as nice as what y'all have out west but it ain't nothin. Of course, there are a lot of warm water species opportunities around that will keep a college kid in practice and hopefully out of trouble.

Believe it or not, there is trout fishing not real far from the UT campus and fairly close to Texas State. It's in the Guadalupe River below the Canyon Lake dam. Nothing even remotely as nice as what y'all have out west but it ain't nothin. Of course, there are a lot of warm water species opportunities around that will keep a college kid in practice and hopefully out of trouble.
All true, but still don't see how that gets A&M at #8 on the list.

Everyone knows Montana State University is where it's at! Bozeman all the way!
I was surprised that U of Montana was not on the list, especially after the movie "A River Runs Through It"

Also Utah State with fly fishing just up Logan Canyon and access the the Green River below Flaming Gorge.

Having grown up just outside Fort Collins and beinga Colorado State University Alum I’d say ranking CSU as a top trout bum university is a joke.

I was surprised that U of Montana was not on the list, especially after the movie "A River Runs Through It"

Also Utah State with fly fishing just up Logan Canyon and access the the Green River below Flaming Gorge.
The Clark Fork River runs through Missoula near U of Montana. IIRC, most filming of the movie was not on the Clark Fork, but on the Blackfoot River and Yellowstone River (actually not far from MSU, Bozeman).

The Clark Fork River runs through Missoula near U of Montana. IIRC, most filming of the movie was not on the Clark Fork, but on the Blackfoot River and Yellowstone River (actually not far from MSU, Bozeman).

Gallatin river for River runs through it.

Missou does offer a ton for the angler: Bitterroot, Clark Fork, Big Blackfoot, Fish Creek, Flathead river, Swan, etc. The downside is that you're in Missoula.

Gallatin river for River runs through it.

Missou does offer a ton for the angler: Bitterroot, Clark Fork, Big Blackfoot, Fish Creek, Flathead river, Swan, etc. The downside is that you're in Missoula.
All the trout died during the mega cleanup of destructible eco unfriendly garbage that had to be cleaned out near Bonner. So to anyone interested the MSU is the way to go. U of M, all the fishing burned out.

All the trout died during the mega cleanup of destructible eco unfriendly garbage that had to be cleaned out near Bonner. So to anyone interested the MSU is the way to go. U of M, all the fishing burned out.

We floated the Clark Fork this May. Banner day - lots of fish, tons of dry fly activity.

Floated around Bozo a few days later. Super dead. Not much happening.

Some people are saying Missoula is better fishing. Not me, but some people. Very smart people. I saw it on the television. They are saying this. THEY'RE EATING PEOPLE'S DOGS IN BOZEMAN!

We floated the Clark Fork this May. Banner day - lots of fish, tons of dry fly activity.

Floated around Bozo a few days later. Super dead. Not much happening.

Some people are saying Missoula is better fishing. Not me, but some people. Very smart people. I saw it on the television. They are saying this. THEY'RE EATING PEOPLE'S DOGS IN BOZEMAN!
And millions and millions and millions of disappointed criminal trout fishers in Canada are streaming across the border at the Yaak, heading to Bozeman to catch-and-release puppies but to BBQ and eat the tasty Gallatin bred and fed canines. ;)

Last edited:
Missoula was the epicenter in the movie with fishing on the nearby Blackfoot east of Missoula and Brad Pitt's character gambling west of Missoula at Lolo Hot Springs.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back