To “The Rooftop of The World” for Ibex in Tajikistan

As the Ibex feed in a favorable direction, we make our way along the creek bottom toward them.
The rangers want to hurry but Kaylee is very cautious about falling in the rocks, so we keep a steady pace.

The rangers do not want to let you carry anything whatsoever at any time and with the language barrier, I basically have to rip my backpack from one of their arms so we have a rest to shoot off of.

A ranger gets about 20 feet ahead of us, finds a place to shoot from and begins knocking down a bit of light vegetation that may block the view. Kaylee and I get to him, she lays down and begins trying to catch her breath.
I pull a stuff sack out of the backpack and we start looking over ibex. This part was a bit more excited and hurried than I care for but that’s just how it is there. The ibex were getting antsy, but they were on a wide open hill at 350 yards. There was nowhere they could go that we couldn’t get some shooting in.

IMG_3525.jpegIMG_3520.jpegIMG_3523.jpegIMG_3535.jpegIMG_3536.jpeg

Last edited:
I’d like to tell you about how I expertly picked out the ibex that I knew was the 2nd biggest, but that’s not the case.

I watched 5 billies walking straight away from me, nearing the top of the ridge. One stopped and the other 4 kept walking. I had already ranged the top of the hill to be 395 yards.

As soon as the one that stopped turned broadside, I pulled the trigger. He took two steps to the side and fell off the ridge out of site. That’s good, I think.

Kaylees was laying dead in sight. We sat with the rifle for a few minutes as Billies filtered out of view. Mine never appeared. The shot felt good, but I didn’t think it sounded solid. Kaylee and a ranger went to her billy. I grabbed the rifle and went toward where mine had disappeared with another ranger.

My billy was dead too. Hit right where I’d held the crosshairs, behind his shoulder.

What a relief.

I was shocked at their size. I’d say like a yearling elk. Bigger than a large mule deer buck.

Myself and the ranger took a few pics. Then we dragged him down off the mountain to where the others had dragged Kaylees to a level spot.

6f95b43b-2455-44ad-80e3-0fb74ab9883b.jpeg
IMG_3625.jpeg
IMG_3607.jpeg
IMG_3551.jpegIMG_3572.jpegIMG_3538.jpeg

Awesome! This has been on my list of things I need to get to for a while, you may have bumped it up a ways...

Amazing looking adventure, congrats to you and your wife on all of it. Looking forward to seeing the rest

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BravoNovember
Back